Why not legit (GOLD3DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by crazyguy, Nov 14, 2011.

Nov 14, 2011

Why not legit (GOLD3DS) by crazyguy at 11:16 PM (19,981 Views / 0 Likes) 90 replies

1. crazyguy
    OP

Newcomer crazyguy Member

Austria

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Well you can't even read what it says on the touchscreen. And if it was a real flashcard they would show some games working... etc.

3. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    It does not in any way prove it is real, hence it is fake.

4. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    1. If it WAS real, news about a nameless, nobody team hacking the 3DS would have made more of a splash.

2. The bottom screen probably gives an error.

5. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Things like this have to be assumed to be fake unless there is concrete proof. Past history shows that 3DS 'haxor' videos are usually troll attempts.

Also, it really wouldn't be that hard to slip a Ridge Racer rom board in that clone shell.

2 people like this.
  6. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    I believe that a thread regarding this flashcart has been locked due to extensive flaming...

7. crazyguy
    OP

Newcomer crazyguy Member

Austria
    Tanks all for fast replying. I think that quote I was the point i didn't get. I thought if the card shows the Ridge Racer 3D logo and seems to boot it should be real. Didn't thought about the possibility to just change the cardridge frame.

8. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    You can only assume it's fake. I don't know.. None of us really can be sure. It more than likely is, but who can say?

9. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Downlolded their "kernel", turned out to be Moonshell, loled, deleted it.

Very much fake.

2 people like this.
  10. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    That's some flawed logic you've got there.

6 people like this.
  11. xxNathanxx

Tonga
    How so? It's the scientific way of thinking - everything is untrue until it has been proven to be true, and even then.

12. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I could also say that anything is true unless you can disprove it. It's a viscious cycle, really.

It's not a scientific way of thinking, it's the lazy man's argument. You can't state for sure that something is real or fake without analyzing it. I at least downloaded the kernel and now I know it is fake. You just "assumed" it is fake. Assumptions are as far from the truth as we are from the nearest sentient alien civilization.

1 person likes this.
  13. xxNathanxx

Tonga
    Actually, no. That would be an argument from ignorance, which is a logical fallacy.

Btw, I should've said "everything is untrue until it has been proven that it cannot be untrue."

14. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    actually, the scientific way is to believe that generally, there is no truth that could not be discovered to be untrue after all. theres always tomorrow is only true, until it becomes untrue. and at that point, theres always tomorrow can never be 100% true anymore
    further, everything is always just an assumption. nothing can be proven true (even if it is handled like that), its more that things get proven to be "very unlikely not true"

also, when we have an argument, we test if the opposite argument holds truth.
    if it does, we assume the original statement to be wrong with this or that amount of certainty.
    if it doesnt, we assume the original statement to be true (with this or that amount of certainty)

here: H1: the flashcard is fake
    H0: the flashcard is real

do we have any supporting evidence the card is real? no. not in any way, all we get is a very short video, thats recorded sideways, with parts cut off. no view of the display and everything happening very fast. all of this is notably also used in many of these days viral marketing videos

since there is no proof, h0 seems to be untrue, making h1 the favorable assumption.

works the other way around too

H1: the flashcard is real
    H0: the flashcard is fake

do we have any supporting evidence the flashcard is fake?
    yes. short video, bad quality, no direct screen view, it does everything every other troll video did so far...

yeah. saying that, yes, chances are, this is fake.
    but there is this very faint and incredibly unlikely chance, that this is not fake. for example, there could be a scene team, acting like jerks by trolling us, pretending to be someone with no name. and in a few weeks they come out like yeah, we did it, no hard feelings eh?

as a final note, my memory could very well be playing tricks on me. my lectures about the whole testing of hypothesizes were quite a few years in the past already. so i might have jumbled it up completely xD but i assume i've got pretty good chances to have said the right things

15. Sheimi

Member Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Japan
    The top screen says "Ridge Racer 3D" after s/he presses A, it goes to an Japanese error!

16. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Argument of Ignorance you say...

You present me with us with a hypothesis that "this cart is fake" while you provide no proof whatsoever and expect your viewer to extract the proof for himself. You, sir, are commiting a logical fallacy aswell. If you have a theory, you need grounds for it, otherwise it's your hypothesis, worth as much as toilet roll.

2 people like this.
  17. xxNathanxx

Tonga
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. You are indeed correct, but I didn't feel like typing up an entire explanation myself, so I tried to say things differently, and in doing so, I actually made my statement incorrect. Way to go, me.

I should stay away from topics like this. Maybe from any topic.

Eh, I'll just stay away.

18. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I enjoy conversations like this, no offence taken, I hope it works mutually. It's called an exchange of thoughts, it's not supposed to be based on emotions.

2 people like this.
  19. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Changing the label was the first thing that came to my mind, as that would be much easier. Either way, it's too easy to replicate this video, so it's no wonder it didn't draw excitement in the scene. Anybody who comes up with something legit, and wants to show it off, should know how to be more convincing when making a video.

1 person likes this.
  20. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    Note: Support 3DS Ver. 2.2.0-4 & DSi V1.4.3.

i like how the updated it