Why no support for DSi mode?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by badbob001, Dec 6, 2012.

Dec 6, 2012
  1. badbob001
    OP

Member badbob001 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If anything, DSi mode will allow the device to connect to most if not all wifi access points that use the current WPA encryption. DSL mode is limited to WEP encryption, which is easily broken and thus rarely used. It would be cool to be able to connect to a network with homebrew like a ftp backup app.

Is DSi mode unique to the dead CycloDS? Or is flashcart DSi mode completely blocked by the latest DSi/3DS firmwares and so there is no point?

2. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    The ability to run in DSi mode is on the dead CycloDS iEvolution. From what I heard, the DSi mode was real shitty.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    In a nutshell, of the later updates blocked the NAND saving/dumping feature, so the exploit could not extract the keys, and thus you couldn't launch apps as signed anymore, nor install the exploit.

As of today, it'd require connecting the NAND physically to a reader (it's in MMC standard) and that's pretty inconvenient.

The other exploit featured a commercial game + a save exploit, but that was patched over, so it's no-go as well.

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the biggest problems was that most of the dsi roms were dumped incorrectly, so they did not function when we finally had a dsi-mode to test them on. the kernel was never tweaked for better ds-in-dsi-mode performance. a lot of commercial games and homebrew simply failed to run or ran to quickly. also, due to the nature of the hardware, there can never be wifi using the cyclods exploit.

however, homebrew compiled for dsi-mode was an amazing treat. a true 30+ fps on quake 1 and 2. a port of stella that finally, almost, ran at full speed. it had great potential for homebrew, but the exploits were all patched and/or abandoned before anything could come of them.

-another world

5. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The one "good" method of accessing DSi Mode would be a modchip, and in a portabe device, that's less than ideal. Without NAND access, you can't do anything, and that access was restricted.

6. Latiken

United States
    I thought it was something like that. It's a real shame it never went to its full potential. Just imagine what would have become! Skype on the Nintendo DSi!:yaynds:

7. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The "homebrew" Skype library isn't exactly perfected - the service is closed-source... so no. :P

8. Latiken

United States
    You kill my swagger bro! Anyways, I was just saiyan :ha:

9. badbob001
    OP

Member badbob001 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    With no wifi support, there goes my biggest desire for dsi mode. Thanks everyone for all the insight on this matter.