Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed. Why isn't GBAtemp using SSL/HTTPS? That's pretty bad, considering how many users and accounts there are here.
Go to https://gbatemp.net/ and you should have a HTTPS connection. I believe it isn't forced HTTPS since the site would lose a lot of Chinese traffic. Something like that.

Reactions: ThoD and Quantumcat

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chinese traffic? I'm just curious, is there much legitimate chinese traffic going to the site? And why would forced HTTPS block out chinese connections?
Can't remember the specifics. I just remember from the last HTTPS thread that it was a reason it wasn't forced.
Yes. The SSL on this site is a fairly complex setup and things like that are chosen for a reason, that being those in China (no small amount of the userbase and several flash cart and such team members) and other countries with fun approaches to such things get troubled by it.
Anybody that cares can move to it, also run something like https://www.eff.org/Https-Everywhere

Termer

Fullstack developer
OP
Trophies
Website
termer.net
XP
Country
United States
Can't remember the specifics. I just remember from the last HTTPS thread that it was a reason it wasn't forced.
Oh, I just read that they can't enforce censorship easily using encrypted connections. Makes sense. What doesn't made sense is why anyone in China would want to visit this site. The nature of the site is not one that would be condoned by the Chinese gov't (hacking, jailbreaking, pirating).

Oh, the joys of living in a communist country!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"The nature of the site is not one that would be condoned by the Chinese gov't (hacking, jailbreaking, pirating)."

Thankfully I have continued to leave the arms on my chair else I might have fallen off when laughing. General IP policy of China is "is it a Chinese piece of IP you are screwing with? No? Carry on unless it is one of those 2 weeks every 3 years where we pretend to care."

Volume wise I have not seen the stats but I am not expecting the highest (there are some fantastic Chinese language equivalents of this place, http://bbs.tgbus.com/forum.php to say nothing of tencent/qq groups actually being worthwhile unlike every discord* and facebook group on the matter), quality/usefulness wise there are several flash cart team members wanting to post updates and such.
It is not only China as well -- various places in the middle east, Africa, various employers... will block things or otherwise trouble things.
Equally it is just a forum.

*IRC is of course a different matter.

Reactions: Scarlet

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
"is prety complex here"
the fuck is talk? its literal just normal free lets encrybt certifikat but doesnt redirects http to https. nothing advance about that mr fast but maybe you have no experient with the web servers :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was there for one of the big discussions on what should go into the .htaccess and the general implementation of SSL. After we sorted out how the various subdomains would play out (historically there were quite a few), someone groaned about having to sort hardlinks in a few places and all the other stuff that comes from a website with as long a history as this (as well as customisation as extensive as it is) then a major component of that discussion was on the demographics/user locations and relative effects of SSL and what might be done.
Such things are what inform the replies to these sorts of questions.

Xathya

Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
I was there for one of the big discussions on what should go into the .htaccess and the general implementation of SSL. After we sorted out how the various subdomains would play out (historically there were quite a few), someone groaned about having to sort hardlinks in a few places and all the other stuff that comes from a website with as long a history as this (as well as customisation as extensive as it is) then a major component of that discussion was on the demographics/user locations and relative effects of SSL and what might be done.
Such things are what inform the replies to these sorts of questions.
>.htaccess
>ngnix
HMMMS you dont sem the very educate on web servers friend :D

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
FAST has already answered, we could enforce HTTPS-only but it would harm traffic coming from China indeed.
they censor a lot of HTTPS-only sites for the reason you can imagine.
and we do have a lot of visitors from China, far from the majority but a significant enough number.
just set the HTTPS version of GBAtemp in your bookmarks and you'll be good. You can even use add-ons that force HTTPS.

Xathya

Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
FAST has already answered, we could enforce HTTPS-only but it would harm traffic coming from China indeed.
they censor a lot of HTTPS-only sites for the reason you can imagine.
and we do have a lot of visitors from China, far from the majority but a significant enough number.
just set the HTTPS version of GBAtemp in your bookmarks and you'll be good. You can even use add-ons that force HTTPS.
wel i know temp isnt realy a very ambitotions projec but why dont u do geo chek of redirects? set up an 301 from http to https but excludes chinsa.!

Reactions: Seriel

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While that might sort China if you can get the IP ranges sorted (China is not gobbling up IPv4 as much as you might imagine but it is happening in dribs and drabs) there are also a bunch of institutions (normally done such that 443 is slow as sin, enough to get email but wouldn't want to do day to day internet on it), devices and other countries which aspire to similar things.

At that point you end up in the equivalent of

and

But for this
Most work I see done for it is for spam and DDOS protection (the local Indian takeaway you just made a site for is unlikely to be getting traffic from anywhere other than your country, or your country + India/Pakistan/Bangladesh + tourist countries)... and you have dealt with the fun of third party blacklists for the last how many years now?

Not as troubling as losing China (or the technically less capable Chinese) but if business as usual results in no great harm done...

Xathya

Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
While that might sort China if you can get the IP ranges sorted (China is not gobbling up IPv4 as much as you might imagine but it is happening in dribs and drabs) there are also a bunch of institutions (normally done such that 443 is slow as sin, enough to get email but wouldn't want to do day to day internet on it), devices and other countries which aspire to similar things.

At that point you end up in the equivalent of

and

But for this
Most work I see done for it is for spam and DDOS protection (the local Indian takeaway you just made a site for is unlikely to be getting traffic from anywhere other than your country, or your country + India/Pakistan/Bangladesh + tourist countries)... and you have dealt with the fun of third party blacklists for the last how many years now?

Not as troubling as losing China (or the technically less capable Chinese) but if business as usual results in no great harm done...

fast you sem to read more than you practic. no one is talkings about seting up ip blox or ranches for chinsa, but to geo loksup if sais IP IS chinsa, then not forces the ssls.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was saying the geo lookups, the security peeps having a very vested in that andthen being the primary source for a lot of them, lag behind the times* and if the simple solution of "remove the s" is not there then you risk excluding people. As SSL is there for those that want and even if not it is just a forum so no harm done if sniffing traffic. If it is done like that then so it goes but from where I sit the current system is working just fine.

*one spammer squeaks out of a geo lookup and nobody cares as the rest are blocked, or get to continue running the gauntlet of your other security.

I was also saying it is far from only China that does it. Various other Asian states, various African ones, various middle Eastern ones, not sure about south America these days but it would not be unknown. In some ways it would not be as bad as blocking China but we have had many nice members living in countries with suspect approaches to surveillance. I mentioned institutions which do it (bored people at work/school making up an appreciable fraction) and we have a user in this very thread saying a popular device does not support the implementation (not sure if crypto mismatch or unrecognised CA). If you start down that path you either exclude those, try your best and hope nobody gets blocked, or end up in a nightmare like those videos show.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
there's also the issue of server resources...
adding a geo IP check on every HTTP request could take a toll on the server.
I could add the check only on the / uri (home page) but then if people land on gbatemp through search engine results they wont land on the home page so the HTTPS redirect wont be useful

Reactions: DarthDub

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
there's also the issue of server resources...
adding a geo IP check on every HTTP request could take a toll on the server.
I could add the check only on the / uri (home page) but then if people land on gbatemp through search engine results they wont land on the home page so the HTTPS redirect wont be useful
Why not do it client side in JavaScript? That way it doesn't take up server resources.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.