PS1/2 Why is my PSone doing this D:

Blastoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all. Wondering if any of you would be able to shed some light onto why my PSone is doing this. If you could, it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txTW7Xq-AA[/youtube]
Also, if you could maybe even tell me what needs fixing up then that would also be appreciated. I'm not afraid of opening it up and tinkering with it a bit (do have experience with this sort of thing)

Thanks!

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It worked before?

When you show the behavior with no disc it's normal, mine does the same it spins two times and the lens try to read the disc between.

But with the disc on it shouldn't do this, it reacts like you don't have a disc...
first try to clean the lens with a Q-tip and very little water on it, be careful not to press too hard, if this don't work you'll probably need to check inside to see if the drive ribbon is correctly connected.

Blastoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
boudincaca said:
It worked before?

When you show the behavior with no disc it's normal, mine does the same it spins two times and the lens try to read the disc between.

But with the disc on it shouldn't do this, it reacts like you don't have a disc...
first try to clean the lens with a Q-tip and very little water on it, be careful not to press too hard, if this don't work you'll probably need to check inside to see if the drive ribbon is correctly connected.
A long time ago, yes.

Will try that now!

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but this sounds very familiar to a problem I had with my psone. Of course at the time I was very young and had no where near the knowledge I had so I just deemed it broken. This sounds like a typical problem. Try youtube

gage85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may sound strange but, insert any game and close the lid without the power on. Flip the PS1 upside down and turn it on. Leave it upside down and see if the game loads. If it does work, I'll let you know what's wrong.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Seems like you have to readjust the laser. If turning your ps1 around (like gage mentioned) solves the problem, you need to readjust the laser. very easy thing to do.

gage85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it could be as simple as adjusting the laser and hopefully it is. If the PS1 is the original model it could be much harder to fix. I've had this problem with multiple PS1s but with the original model, the track in which the laser moves back and forth on can be shaved down which causes the laser to be misaligned. That required me to glue a very thin piece of metal onto the track which I cut from an old floppy disc. I read how to do it exactly on a tutorial I found online a long time ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16