Why don't we have a homebrew browser channel?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by WeedZ, Jul 2, 2015.

1. WeedZ
    OP

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Smea open sourced his homebrew menu right? Has anyone tried compiling it as a cia to see if it will run? Is this even possible?

2. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    CIA means no hb service access so no 3DSX loading, dynarec and so on.

WeedZ likes this.
  3. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    The menu will run, but as the HB service isn't running it won't be able to start any homebrew. It will just be the menu, nothing more.

WeedZ likes this.
  4. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Couldn't it be possible to port the HB service code into an app's code or into the patches of a CFW? (I'm legitimately asking because I don't know the nature of the hacks involved.) If the latter is possible, then perhaps that's something that a modular system like CakesFW could be the ideal test platform.

5. Suiginou

Suiginou (null)

Jun 26, 2012
    Gambia, The
    pc + 8
    https://github.com/smealum/ninjhax/tree/master/ro_command_handler/source

That seems to be the code of the hb service. With my limited knowledge, the following should make the hb service available:

1. Compile hb module (ro_command_handler) into a standalone build
    2. Build CIA containing the hb module (Title ID and unique ID to be determined, though)
    3. Make homebrew launcher as CIA that depends on the hb module

When launching the CIA homebrew launcher, NATIVE_FIRM should then proceed to boot up its dependency as well, the hb module.

I don't know if that'll actually work, however. I don't know enough about the dependency mechanism and how a "proper" system module behaves and runs.

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Home Menu is our homebrew browser and it's awesome.

rewrewrew123 likes this.
  7. rewrewrew123

rewrewrew123 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Italy
    And if you build the HBC with apps into that directly?
    It will be a bit unconfortable but is that possible?

8. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    A system-wide homebrew service separate from Ninjhax, would require a process to handle service calls. I'm not sure what the current state of CFW is like atm, but if any one of them has a properly-running ARM11 process (no memory or permissions limitations ideally, no dlphax), it should be able to handle this. Something like yellows8's ARM11 process (though it was quite limited due to its method of running) or SALT's OVERLORD. Again, not sure where CFW is right now.

That being said, everyone having their own HB service implementations would lead to a lot of inconsistency, as well as a frustrating inability to add new functions to the service. It's probably possible to have a single HB service process that everybody uses, but variations in CFWs will obviously make that a bit rough. It's worth running this past @smealum to see what he's got to say on the matter.

9. LucaSmash

LucaSmash GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2014
    United States
    I was just wondering this right now. It would be cool to install a homebrew channel with CIA to browse through everything just like on the Wii. Maybe even somehow get it on SysNAND and make it boot into Gateway mode? Or is that not possible? I think it would be cute anyway and I hope someone will make the Ninjhax 2.0 homebrew channel work with a Gateway 3DS.

10. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    My one (and really only) concern with this, is what happens after your entire menu is filled? This may not seem like a huge issue if you're only using retail games (although it could still happen if you're using mostly smaller games on a large SD card), but it becomes a little more concerning when you're chalking up your menu with heaps of different emulators.

11. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    the home menu expands as needed.

12. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The whole two working emulators that we have?

13. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Currently yes, but that's certainly subject to change as the scene progresses.

wasn't aware of that...good to know though.

14. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I hope so. I still want my 3d rendered emulators.