Why does Smealum's hack need wifi?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gbazone, Nov 26, 2014.

1. gbazone
    OP

gbazone Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2014
    Just curious... I don't understand the purpose other than him being able to disable new installs of the hack on a whim. I know it comes with an FTP client, but my understanding is that wifi is required to install the hack... My copy of Cubic Ninja is coming today.

2. slowmotioning

slowmotioning GBAtemp Regular

Nov 1, 2014
    United States
    it downloads a payload from his website during the process

Margen67 likes this.
  3. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Very little information can be stored in a QR code. For instance, my MM2 PTC program (due out pretty soon) is roughly 620KB big. A lot of the data is already compressed before compiled into QR codes (and they have their own compression). The result? 243 QR codes. So, roughly about 2.55KB is stored in each QR code. That is clearly not enough to hold everything ninjhax requires.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. gbazone
    OP

gbazone Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2014
    I wonder if this was a technical limitation (AKA he could not access the SD card yet, or if it IS a way of him being able to pull the hack if he wanted to. Also, I see it being useful in the sense that everyone would have the latest payload, but also, if you are downloading a .zip of homebrew from his website also it just doesn't make much sense to me.

5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I'm surprised you can fit that much into a QR code.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. gbazone
    OP

gbazone Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2014
    Why via internet instead of SD card though?

7. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    No doubt he can keep count of how many 3ds units have been using the hack. Thats how they knew only about 200 DSi's were hacked. But judging by how many games were sold recently you can probably estimate most of them.

8. gbazone
    OP

gbazone Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2014
    Yeah, stats make the most sense. It's one thing to download the stuff from his website compared to actually having Cubic Ninja and going through with the hack. He'd want to know how many successful installs. I guess I just worry about the future - what happens in five years if somebody wants to install this hack (very unlikely I know, as different hacks will come along)... Someone would have to archive the payload and then make a proxy to host at the original URL.

9. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

I was thinking the same thing. Surprising how even that much data can be held in a square made up of other smaller randomly placed squares.

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    pretty sure it only requires it the once if you install the hack to the save....so just do that and then you dont have anything to worry about
    probably doesn't have SD access at the point of the exploit...basically use what you can, if the game has wifi access and not SD access you just load via wifi, the SD access is probably initialized later into the process using the data obtained from the website.....idk but i doubt he would of hosted it like for no good reason

Margen67 likes this.
  11. FearItSelf23

FearItSelf23 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    United States

I mean you answered your own question in a previous comment. The hack is needed to run code and the only way to actually enable the hack is with the required exploit data. How can it access the SD card before it has been exploited? Now if the exploit utilizes the SD card to enable the exploit such as the smash bros hack on the Wii then sure, but in this case the only way to actually get the required data to the 3DS is with a QR code that then pulls the required files off his server.