Why does FDA approve fast food chains?

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone I've ever met acknowledges that fast food is generally bad for you, so how come the big ones all get FDA approval?

I came across this peer reviewed study the other day that basically proves people are being poisoned by phthalates in major fast foods.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41370-021-00392-8

I'm sure there are countless others, like the stuff about artificial sweeteners that are carcinogenic and yet they get approved over stevia that is natural and healthy..

How are they getting away with this?

(Btw I enjoy fast food, this isn't about that)

Reactions: XDel

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Do restaurants get approval from FDA, or from the health inspector?
Anyway, phthalates are absolutely everywhere so it's weird to single out fast food restaurants when they're in all food, drink, toiletries and body care products, clothes and toys. Also in the air. The fast food chains don't produce phthalates, they leech in from the food packaging, and the packaging is still allowed. So it's better to ask why such plastics are allowed, not why a company is allowed to use "generally food safe" processes and ingredients.

HK-51

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
why do you care about fast food? Why not talk about things that actually matter, like most "people"'s strange obsession with poisoning themselves and others with shit like excess pollution, drug addiction, and hairspray?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well-there-it-is.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't seem like just a fast food problem. They banned things before, they will eventually banned some of these things too.
We'll see. Seems more companies are also competing with energy drinks, adding more variations, whilst slimming down the variety of their older products (soft drinks and such).

And on the polar opposite, you've got specialty stores focused on health foods, such as Whole Foods. That being said, huge corporations like Kroger have officially phased out their "Natural Foods" section, now incorporating those products into the main aisles, but with less variety.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Bad" and "healthy" are very vague terms when it comes to food. Professional bodybuilders and athletes still implement comfort foods into their diet, because they enjoy them, but some "junk" foods can actually have a place in your diet. And those are people that really need to nail their diets down for optimal performance.

As an example, your body does require simple sugars for energy, so if you have no sugar in your diet, you'd likely benefit from a scoop of ice cream or glass of chocolate milk. There are lots of sources to back this one up, so a quick google search will yield plenty more detail on that if you're curious.

It's poor eating habits as a whole that lead to health problems. Eating small amounts of fatty, sugary foods is not going to cause problems - eating them on a consistent basis will.

Targeting "bad" foods is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. It's overall diet over a long period of time that truly has an impact.

If you want to brainstorm how to help the population get healthier overall, I'd personally start with education on diet and nutrition. I think that's the crux of the issue.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the body can utilise fats and proteins for this too.
No sir. Sugars metabolize much faster than more complex carbs; you can't just swap it with fats or protein for the same effect. Those are going to facilitate completely different mechanisms.

That's why Gatorade is heavy on sugars and electrolytes. It's proven to help give athletes a second wind. A decent amount of research went into making a drink that would genuinely improve the performance of the Florida Gators.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No sir. Sugars metabolize much faster than more complex carbs; you can't just swap it with fats or protein for the same effect.
You said sugars are required for energy which isn't true as ketogenesis is a perfectly fine way to produce energy. You can also breakdown protein and use certain amino acids to do it. The only thing that requires sugar is the brain.

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because they're trying to kill us anyway they can regardless if it's fast food, the vaccine, the virus they created, the meds they want you to take that never actually cure you but "help with the symptoms" (also sounds like the vaccine). They want to reduce the population and most are too distracted to ever acknowledge it including arguing with what side of politics you're on (they're both on the same side against you, sorry to tell you)

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said sugars are required for energy which isn't true as ketogenesis is a perfectly fine way to produce energy. You can also breakdown protein and use certain amino acids to do it. The only thing that requires sugar is the brain.
Okay, I'll admit I was too vague when I said it's "needed for energy". I should have said that it is optimal for bursts of energy. That's why athletes use sugar as part of their strategy in competition. That's why Gatorade has simple sugars in it. That was the point I was attempting to make.

Energy sources in the body are not equal. They come with their drawbacks - yes, even sugar.

Carbs, proteins and fats form the macronutrient category. They're in separate categories because they provide functions for different mechanisms in the body. At a very, very high level - proteins help in building muscle tissue, fats help with hormone production, and carbs provide energy.

Ketogenesis can only happen when you take in a very low level of carbs consistently over a long period of time, and it's sure as hell not ideal for everyone. Not everybody responds to keto the same way, either. There's a lot of research on this topic that I just don't have the room to put here, and it'd derail this point anyway, so I'll leave that reading up to you.

Amino acids will only be used to aid in muscle recovery - it's absolutely nothing like the energy you get from carbs, and this is extremely well studied at this point. It has no effects on performance directly, like say, creatine monohydrate. Better recovery can lead to better performance, but it's not from it being used as an energy source. Proteins will only be used as a primary energy source in extreme situations where you're basically starving and not training.

Also, where the hell did you "learn" that sugar is only used by the brain? Lol! Every cell in your body utilizes sugar. You completely goofed on that point.

Point of all this being - sugar has a place in a well rounded diet, and is used by people who take nutrition to a competitive level. It's not "bad" unless you overeat sugar. Fast food is perfectly fine if you know what you're doing. Moderation, and all that.

Did you ever read about the nutrition professor who ate only McDonalds for 6 months and lost weight? It was all to prove this very point: https://www.businessinsider.com/how... John Cisna after,on the McDonald's-only diet.

Also maybe check out some bodybuilders' diets. You'll notice a lot of them have ice cream, milkshakes, etc. as part of their rotation. Of course, they don't overdo it, because they know what they're doing, so it helps them more than it hinders them.

This isn't even up for debate, dude. Nutrition has never been about "cut out this food because it's bad". That's not how developing a healthy diet works.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I'll admit I was too vague when I said it's "needed for energy". I should have said that it is optimal for bursts of energy. That's why athletes use sugar as part of their strategy in competition. That's why Gatorade has simple sugars in it. That was the point I was attempting to make.

Energy sources in the body are not equal. They come with their drawbacks - yes, even sugar.

Carbs, proteins and fats form the macronutrient category. They're in separate categories because they provide functions for different mechanisms in the body. At a very, very high level - proteins help in building muscle tissue, fats help with hormone production, and carbs provide energy.

Ketogenesis can only happen when you take in a very low level of carbs consistently over a long period of time, and it's sure as hell not ideal for everyone. Not everybody responds to keto the same way, either. There's a lot of research on this topic that I just don't have the room to put here, and it'd derail this point anyway, so I'll leave that reading up to you.

Amino acids will only be used to aid in muscle recovery - it's absolutely nothing like the energy you get from carbs, and this is extremely well studied at this point. It has no effects on performance directly, like say, creatine monohydrate. Better recovery can lead to better performance, but it's not from it being used as an energy source. Proteins will only be used as a primary energy source in extreme situations where you're basically starving and not training.

Also, where the hell did you "learn" that sugar is only used by the brain? Lol! Every cell in your body utilizes sugar. You completely goofed on that point.

Point of all this being - sugar has a place in a well rounded diet, and is used by people who take nutrition to a competitive level. It's not "bad" unless you overeat sugar. Fast food is perfectly fine if you know what you're doing. Moderation, and all that.

Did you ever read about the nutrition professor who ate only McDonalds for 6 months and lost weight? It was all to prove this very point: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lose-weight-eating-only-mcdonalds-2015-10#:~:text=Science teacher John Cisna after,on the McDonald's-only diet.

Also maybe check out some bodybuilders' diets. You'll notice a lot of them have ice cream, milkshakes, etc. as part of their rotation. Of course, they don't overdo it, because they know what they're doing, so it helps them more than it hinders them.

This isn't even up for debate, dude. Nutrition has never been about "cut out this food because it's bad". That's not how developing a healthy diet works.
You seem to be arguing a bunch of points I didn't make, I simply refuted your claim that the body requires sugar for energy.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You seem to be arguing a bunch of points I didn't make, I simply refuted your claim that the body requires sugar for energy.

I’m elaborating on my original response because you refuted with “other stuff gives you energy”, which is incredibly vague and I’m pointing out that you don’t know what you’re talking about when it comes to nutrition.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’m elaborating on my original response because you refuted with “other stuff gives you energy”, which is incredibly vague and I’m pointing out that you don’t know what you’re talking about when it comes to nutrition.
Nutrition? My comment was about very basic biochemistry. Don't worry, I really don't care if you want to enjoy burgers or ice cream or gatorade.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: