Hardware Why does everyone hate broadwell?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it seems like everyone is worried about coffee lake and core counts a clock speeds.... This question is in the back of my mind.... What about broadwell processors. No I do not mean Broadwell-E (6950X) I mean like the 5775R what ever happened to those and why did no one buy them..., I hear they sucked and I don't know why.

I have a theory but I'm not sure...
This was the first generation (I think ) in which Intel started to bump up thier internal graphics capabilities. Is his why no one bought Broadwell or is ther another reason I would really like to know as I have a i7-5500U in my laptop

Any help is appreciated

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I honestly don't see many people hating on Broadwell when compared to something like Skylake-X, but there are a few reasons on why someone wouldn't want Broadwell (non-E) CPUs:
  • Broadwell and Skylake were released within only a few months between each other and Skylake is pretty much all around a superior architecture.
  • All Broadwell CPUs (excluding Broadwell-E and server CPUs) only support DDR3, while Skylake supports both DDR3 and DDR4
  • Broadwell was pretty much nonexistent in the desktop range (again, not counting Broadwell-E CPUs). There were only two CPUs for LGA1150 (i7 5775C & i5 5675C) and 6 (3 desktop and 3 server) for embedded platforms (BGA1364). Skylake offers way more variety in both ranges.
  • Right when it came out, considering its MSRP, Skylake offered both better performance and value than Broadwell. Take Broadwell's flagship CPU, the i7 5775C, and Skylake's flagship, the i7 6700K. As I said before, they were released within months from each other (June 2015 for the first, August 2015 for the latter) but the 6700K costed less than the 5775C and it also offers better performance in both singlethreaded and multithreaded workloads, has DDR4 support, is unlocked and comes with all the other general improvements that Skylake offers over Broadwell.
  • Skylake had a newer socket for desktop CPUs (LGA1151), which meant that people who wanted to build a new system had no incentive to buy Broadwell CPUs as the LGA1150 wouldn't be supported anymore.
Still, you have to keep in mind that Broadwell was never meant to compete with Skylake, but it was mainly a die shrink of its previous microarchitecture (Haswell) due to Intel's "tick-tock" strategy (the first batch of CPUs is a die shrink of the previous microarchitecture, the second batch is a new architecture). Still, considering what I said before, it was pretty obvious when both architectures were released that, unless you already had a LGA1150 board and didn't want to upgrade to a LGA1151 one, Skylake was the way to go if you wanted to build a new system. The only thing that was pretty strange between Broadwell and Skylake was their release date, cosnidering that other tick-tock CPUs were released within a bigger timespan - for example, Ivy Bridge was released in September 2012 and Haswell was released one full year later...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol