Hacking Discussion Why do you use a backup loader?

A backup loader for me is:

• A tool to test/try games before I buy

Votes: 57 24.8%
  • My only way to get games

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Nice to have games I can't afford

Votes: 109 47.4%
  • rom hacks/translations

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • other

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • A tool to play my own games (no need for gamecard)

Votes: 50 21.7%

• Total voters

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Growing up, my parents only used to buy me anything (games, mostly) if I earned it. Examples include earning Student of the Month, getting "good enough" grades, or my birthday. We don't celebrate Christmas so I don't even get any presents then, just some money during our biannual religious holidays (like $20 at best). I didn't even have an allowance or job until college. I missed out on a lot of games before I discovered piracy so that's my whole story on it (not trying to justify piracy, if anyone's wondering). Now I've got enough money to buy all my games and then some but there's still some things you can do with a backup that you can't with a retail copy.

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: Zumoly

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can afford games, i just don't want to pay.

There's a shit ton of people like me here on Temp, they just don't want to admit it even behind the anonymity of the internet.

Me too. I admit and I am being honest. I just like many backup games instead of bring too many cart cards, lol.

I know that there are many here who dont want to admit it. I knew that.

Zytos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been pirating games since the early 90's in the days of 2400 baud modems, dialing into local BBS's. Back when downloading a couple 1.44 MB floppies took the better part of a day. It's just a way of life I suppose.

Now get off my lawn.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Been pirating games since the early 90's in the days of 2400 baud modems, dialing into local BBS's. Back when downloading a couple 1.44 MB floppies took the better part of a day. It's just a way of life I suppose.

Now get off my lawn.

Say...when pirating do you take what's necessary (interested in) or do you just grab what you get?

The14thfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I do what I want to do when I want it.

I'm not going to make this sound like I'm a good guy in an evil world. I pirate software. I make no excuses. If it's free, them it's for me!

So ya, you don't like what I do, then FU!

Wow what a selfish asshole. You do realize that starving kids could've eaten those backups!

Reactions: Trappie

Trappie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quick and easy playing, saves hundreds of euro’s instead of eshop buying. Of course only playing legit 2nd hand games..

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a ton of money, but I mainly use backup loaders to try out new games. I was really excited when South Park Fractured But Whole was announced for the Switch and I loved Stick of Truth. I had high expectations for the game...however, after playing it with TX OS, I was kind of disappointed and actually glad I didn't spend $60 on the game. If the game had been as good as I expected, I probably would have bought it. Yet, at the same time, I had VERY low expectations for Mario Tennis Aces. After having paid $60 for Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, I was not convinced that Mario Tennis Aces was going to be good. However, Unlike with South Park, I was VERY impressed with Mario Tennis Aces and bought it.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Nice to have games I can't afford" particularly the 75% or of the game roster made up of games i already bought on Wii U or PS4. I ain't paying 60 again for Zelda or Tropical Freeze no matter how good it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: For your steam deck ken?