• Cryptocurrency Warning:
    The risks of trading cryptocurrencies are mainly related to its volatility. They are high-risk and speculative and it is important that you understand the risks before you start trading. They are volatile: unexpected changes in market sentiment can lead to sharp and sudden moves in price.
    Please be aware that any information provided here can be the opinion of the author. Trade at your own risk.

Why all hate NFTs?

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a Scam. It's a pyramid scheme designed to make stupid people cough up money so that rich people can become richer.

I recently bought a new Television and I was annoyed to see even Samsung has gone in on NFT stuff too. I thought a massive corporation wouldn't bother, but look at how they all fall.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Many friends lost all their savings on NFTs, believing they're the "next big thing" after cryptocurrencies.
Everyone knows it's useless... just wants to make a big profits and exit.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NFTs would have worked wonders in lets say you could sell your used game on Steam to another account.
It does still sound shady when I think about it.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It does still sound shady when I think about it.
Not really, if the game developers allow it to be sold as a NFT. Lets say Persona 5 Royale.
When you sell it to me, Steam gets a cut, the publisher/game devs get a cut and I get the rest of the game.

Then again that can be made without NFTs but in theory that would be one way to do it.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really, if the game developers allow it to be sold as a NFT. Lets say Persona 5 Royale.
When you sell it to me, Steam gets a cut, the publisher/game devs get a cut and I get the rest of the game.

Then again that can be made without NFTs but in theory that would be one way to do it.
I guess so. I'm thinking more of trading on marketplace sites.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather contribute to some talented creator than investing into crudely drawn artwork in MS Paint.
Hey! I use Paint. They don't even use paint to make the monkey jpegs or even crappy "pixel" art; they just get a base, cosmetics, and tell a computer to generate as many images as it can. Hell, I could probably make one in just Scratch. Wouldn't be able to save (probably) but it'd prove my point.
(and still, any art program can be good if used right; the NFTers that do use it though are using it wrong)
Post automatically merged:

Yeahh... Considering how TF2 already has a good item economy WITHOUT needing shitty NFTs, I think Steam probably could introduce a feature where you could sell/trade the games you own (provided you didn't get them for free via one of those special "Free to keep until ___!" promotions)
I say that should they make the feature, it should be split 50%/25%/25%; Seller gets 50% of what you paid into their Steam wallet, the devs and Steam get 25% of what you paid.

• Haha

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! I use Paint. They don't even use paint to make the monkey jpegs or even crappy "pixel" art; they just get a base, cosmetics, and tell a computer to generate as many images as it can. Hell, I could probably make one in just Scratch. Wouldn't be able to save (probably) but it'd prove my point.
(and still, any art program can be good if used right; the NFTers that do use it though are using it wrong)
I've said this as a joke. Like you said, anyone can make an NFT with any editing program.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Post automatically merged:

Yeahh... Considering how TF2 already has a good item economy WITHOUT needing shitty NFTs, I think Steam probably could introduce a feature where you could sell/trade the games you own (provided you didn't get them for free via one of those special "Free to keep until ___!" promotions)
I say that should they make the feature, it should be split 50%/25%/25%; Seller gets 50% of what you paid into their Steam wallet, the devs and Steam get 25% of what you paid.
Yeah as I said, it would need to be tweaked but I wish they made something like this. Everyone would win on it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course. I mean if the game license was a NFT. It would be possible to sell it on Ebay. And everyone still get paid.
There's that possibility, but selling digital content on eBay is a bit risky. A buyer could claim it was already redeemed, eBay would side with him/her, and you'd lose your money and your product.

But NFT is now a disgusting scam so it will never happen.
It was pretty much always seen as such.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There's that possibility, but selling digital content on eBay is a bit risky. A buyer could claim it was already redeemed, eBay would side with him/her, and you'd lose your money and your product.

It was pretty much always seen as such.
A NFT would prove stuff so it wouldn't be possible in the same way but ye

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
The lack of scarcity and value is probably one of the main reasons many people don't like NFT. Many critics argue that the scarcity and value of NFTs are artificially created and not inherent. Some argue that the fact that something is labeled NFT does not make it inherently valuable or unique.
And the people that argue that are correct. All an NFT is is a token that represents a link to something, you're not really even truly owning whatever you buy.
A commission from a furry artist is forever more valuable than whatever randomly generated (if not algorithmically generated) schlop an overworked linux server with stolen scalped GPUs pumps out dozens at a time.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
And the people that argue that are correct. All an NFT is is a token that represents a link to something, you're not really even truly owning whatever you buy.
A commission from a furry artist is forever more valuable than whatever randomly generated (if not algorithmically generated) schlop an overworked linux server with stolen scalped GPUs pumps out dozens at a time.
The dollar bill is the same. It has value because of social contract, and an army to support it.

If an NFT had something it represented, like a license, title, or contract, that NFT would be as valuable as that thing + whatever confidence people have the NFT chain itself.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
The dollar bill is the same. It has value because of social contract, and an army to support it.

If an NFT had something it represented, like a license, title, or contract, that NFT would be as valuable as that thing + whatever confidence people have the NFT chain itself.
The dollar bill also has value because you don't need an internet connection to prove you have one, and also don't need to waste tons of computing power, electricity, and water, to make a dollar bill. Furthermore, while I agree it's only worth something because of social contract,
you can't use NFTs to buy things. You can't use NFTs to tip people or donate or do anything but gawk at what it """represents""". Sure, some may be valuable, but not as nearly as much as a good meal bought with a fraction of the money.

PillarBellat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NFT was designed to bring some revolutionary possibilities to the community but it end up being a scam :( another reason is an incredible decline in price. When an NFT once cost 1kk and after 1-2 years it got 1 (one) dollar it is abnormal!

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: