Who's Getting Far Cry 2 ? :)

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by ghettosmurf, Oct 18, 2008.

Oct 18, 2008
  1. ghettosmurf
    OP

Newcomer ghettosmurf Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Just wondered how many people are getting and looking forward to playing Far Cry 2 ?

2. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Just to make clear, do you mean buying or downloading with 'getting' ?

3. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Getting?
    What if I've already got?

4. ghettosmurf
    OP

United Kingdom
    Buying , or have pre ordered [​IMG]

Posts merged

lol u already got it diablo, if so is all the hype worth it ?

5. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Its already out on the internetz. "Get" it there.

6. ghettosmurf
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for the info, will have a nose [​IMG]

7. rikuumi

Member rikuumi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I will buy it! It will be more better than Fable2!

Here we come FC2! [​IMG]

8. ghettosmurf
    OP

United Kingdom
    Apart from Castlevania and GOW II this is what im most looking forward to plyin!!!!

9. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I will get it, just not quite yet. here are the specs:

System Requirements
    Minimum:

Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Vista (64 is supported)
    Processor: Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, Pentium D 2.66 Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or better
    Memory: 1 GB
    Graphics: 256 MB, Shader Model 3 required, NVidia 6800 or ATI X1650 or better*
    Hard Drive: 12GB
    *Supported Video cards: NVidia 6800, NVidia 7000 series, 8000 series, 9000 series, 200 series. 8800M and 8700M supported for laptops. ATI X1650 – 1950 series , HD2000 series , HD3000 series , HD4000 series

Recommended:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Family, AMD 64 X2 5200+, AMD Phenom or better
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Graphics: 512 MB, NVidia 8600 GTS or better, ATI X1900 or better*
    Sound: 5.1 sound card recommended

10. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    That video card is the only thing that really amazes me, that's quite high!

But all the rest, easy for me [​IMG]

Got a Q6600, 4GB RAM and a 8800GTS 512MB video card.
    Don't got 5.1 though....

11. ghettosmurf
    OP

United Kingdom
    think it will rival Crysis, as in the DX 10 Department ?

12. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    possibly, but Crysis was overkill.

13. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I think he is meaning the xbox 360 version due to the fact that he posted in the Microsoft Xbox & Xbox 360.

14. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I'll get it just to see how the burning stuff works.. the first game was very pretty with some very good effects but overall was quite dull.. it was basically a tech demo [​IMG]

Recently I got Crysis Warhead mostly to see if my computer could handle it and I was surprised how good the gameplay was, I hope Crytek learned their lesson from that..

AMD 64 X2 5200+, 3GB RAM, 9600GT and 7.1 sound card here [​IMG]

15. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I'm not much of a shooter fan but Far Cry looks kinda nice. I might just rent it for a weekend or something to see if I like it.

Time to stroke my e-peen;
    Octocore Intel Xeon (2x quad cores) @3.2GHz per processor, 6GB RAM with NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT [​IMG] I think I more than qualify to run this game [​IMG]

16. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Wow, I want. Then again, are there any programs that would even use that? There are hardly any programs using quad cores as it is...
    Also, that probably cost an absolute bomb.

Anyway, yeah, I already told my Dad to buy this while he's in the States this week. So next weekend I can look forward to playing this [​IMG].

Gee, you guys have good PCs. Mine will probably just about get to highest settings (hopefully).
    AMD 64 X2 5200+, ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB, 2GB RAM

17. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    As for getting the game ubisoft shot themselves in the foot for me. I don't agree with the DRM used on bioshock/mass effect/spore/crysis warhead/dead space/etc and guess what else uses it now?

Farcry 2, sure some may say its "better" because you can "revoke", but IMO it isn't a solution, its crap the paying consumer shouldn't have to do to fuel ubisofts over exageration/paranoia/capitalisim of piracy.

Which leads me to "getting" the game in which case i might indulge in even i never play it out of spite. As it stands the 360 version has been out ages (bootleg) and the PC one is waiting for a bit of magic. IMO more intresting games coming out, fallout 3/left 4 dead/gears of war 2/etc. I'd rather pay for something which I can install and use whenever I feel like than have something which could potentially discontinued in a year or two, DRM doesn't even stop or slow down piracy, its just an insult.

I'm fed up of ubisoft, they scream pirates because their PC games sell poorly, when in fact its them delivering poor support/follow up care or providing a decent port or quality gameplay to start. PC gamers (i would like to think) are smarter than your average console user, for some of us we know a lacking game to start, we spend money on our rigs and know a mediocre game when its walking over the hill. Especially when the PC version arrives later than the console version and we all see the mediocre reviews it got (yes im looking at you assassins creed).

Ubisoft take a backlash out of poor sales and go sueing potential customers demanding settlements far more than the game is worth, their lawyers/data collection agencies are known for dodgey evidence but if you want to prove it you have to go to court to do so. Sure it may serve "pirates" right but IMO its no way to treat potential customers especially when you provide no way of them trying before they cough up a sum of money. In the case of the assassins creed leak they went after everyone in set areas where they could get away with it. This is instead of going after the DISTRIBUTORS rather than the peers.

After all this and they just disregard console piracy like it doesnt occur.

I could go on about more ways ubisoft suck but I digress, rambling while tired.

I won't be buying any version of farcry2, I don't see why I should be forced from my gaming PC on to my 360 and potentially lose quality and expandability (i.e having fun with mods if anyone bothers with it) expecially when such a move costs more.

tl;dr: ubisoft suck, drm is bad

18. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Okay, let me establish this. I don't agree with DRM at all, it's pretty stupid, and paying customers shouldn't have to deal with it, you're right.

However, while not buying the game could be seen as getting companies to give up on the DRM, it clearly isn't working. But still people decide they won't experience a really good game that has been in the making for ages, because of some piracy protection. If you have an external hard drive or another computer, it's easy enough to backup the installation and disc digitally (and even on DVDs if you split the game into parts) so DRM won't come back to bite you.
    Besides, how often do you really get through 3 installations of a single game? Unless you have an incredibly small hard drive, or a hard drive that continually fails, you shouldn't have a problem keeping the game installed.
    At the end of the day, DRM can be avoided in many ways. While it's irritating and stupid, it also shouldn't keep you from experiencing a great game.

I swear, if another person gives a DRM game a one star review on Amazon (and when they haven't even played the game), or doesn't buy the game purely to make Ubisoft stop doing DRM, I might just have to kill them.

19. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    All the DRM and security count for nothing. A 35kb crack came out the second day. Just replace one .exe file and you're done, no more securom. Hardly worth all the fuss and bother that all paying customers have to put up with.

Anywho, I've just started playing Far Cry 2 and I think it's pretty cool. Quite a unique experience and it runs great on my rig. The atmosphere is great. This is turning into what I wanted Stalker to be. It's open, atmospheric and unlike stalker, this game has polish and a great engine.

My setup is:

2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    8800GT

All settings on High or Very High except for shadows, which is on medium (gives a big boost in fps). It's running nice and smooth for me. Here's some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada