Who else uses Inkscape here?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Gizametalman, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Gizametalman
    OP

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    I require help with the software.
    I'm using Inkscape 0.92, and I'm new into it.
    I've found a problem that I cannot solve by myself, as I've used this software for only 2 or 3 hours.
    So, once I inked a drawing, exporting the file as .PNG, it sets the resolution to 99dpi.
    Originally, my drawing was scanned at 600dpi, but somehow Inkscape doesn't retain that resolution.
    Does anyone here knows how to export Inkscape .PNG files with my "native" resolution of 600dpi?
    Or at least 300dpi.

In exporting options I've found that one can choose how much dpi I want, but setting 300dpi or more also creates 5000+px by 7000+px files.
    I don't know if it's normal, as with my scanner, I can scan my drawings at 300, ot 400, or 600, or even 1200 dpi with a set size, whilst Inkscape, the larger the dpi, the larger the size of the .PNG file.

2. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    The main thing is that DPI = pixel density and px = number of pixels. You can set the scanner to higher resolutions to allow for more detail, but that's going to end up with a bigger picture.

For example, if you scanned a standard letter (8.5"x11") at 600dpi (dots per inch), that would create an image that is 5100 x 6600 pixels, not viewable on any computer monitor, as computer monitors all have a fixed dpi based on their resolution and physical size (around 60-100dpi, 200-300 for smartphones iirc).

The problem you're encountering is just inkscape working as designed. You have to decide if you want an image that retains the original DPI (needed for printing, terrible for displaying on a computer) or a more manageable resolution (needed for displaying, terrible for printing). Computers generally ignore DPI when displaying, unless in a special program or when forced to by a website's CSS layout rules.

Last edited by Futurdreamz, Jul 27, 2017