Which system won this generation to you?

Which system won this generation?

• Nintendo's Wii

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Sony's Playstation 3

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Microsofts Xbox 360

Votes: 30 28.0%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The wii.

I know the other consoles have better graphical power, but so what? The majority of those games are shooters...and I prefer those on keyboard and mouse. Worse: the majority of games also aim for realism...and I don't WANT realism. I get enough of that in real life.

Still, the major reason for it is because on consoles, platformers are my favorite kind of game. And the wii has that in spades. :)

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
For the people who say the Wii, I'm surprised no one has mentioned dedicated local multiplayer games. So few PS3/360 games have that, and the ones that do are almost all shooters (nothing wrong with that, but a change of pace is nice). The one huge exception I can think of is the LEGO series games, which are also available on Wii.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I go for 360/PS3 as I play nothing but grey realistic shooters particularly as 13*32+32=x of its library of games are already available on PC. As an anti-social hermit, I get a rock hard erection over the lack of dedicated local multiplayer games, in favor of online multiplayer where I can be racially abused by a twelve year old.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Easily the Wii.
I believe that trying to put heaps of power in a console is doomed to fail.
Not only is it much better to use a PC if you crave power, but devs have to go on huge budgets to make a game on a powerful system.
The Wii mostly wins though because of it's awesome titles.

DiEnd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Everyone failed.
PS3 sucked at start, then it turned out that Sony left PSN barely defended (you know how it ended) and here we have the first region-locked game.
Wii brought motion controls to the masses and region-locked Russia from the going into the internet.
Xbox 360 had red ring of death.
I beleive that this is the worst console generation at all.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This gen I was a Nintendo/PC gamer. For me that was the most sensible way to game, I get everything Nintendo has to offer as well as the best of what consoles had to offer on the PC as well as games that simply don't work at all well on a console. I simply preferred the Wii only titles to PS3/360 only. Sadly the last couple of years Nintendo had so little for the Wii what with it's "core" titles not selling so well and with them developing for the 3DS and Wii U but then I have a PC and that made up for that.

Overall the 360 won, it stole more time from gamers and that is more important than sales. It had ALL of the big console titles that weren't published by Sony. The PS3 had better exclusives for me but then I never felt that Gears of War or Halo were that special whereas God of War & Uncharted were. The PC rose up to be a very dominating platform, mainly due to Steam which offered a better way to buy digitally, connect with other gamers and had sales that killed your bank account...however most PC gamers just pirated the shit out of most of the big league titles but supported the smaller titles like Minecraft. For me games like that and others really pushed gameplay forward while the consoles just had games that could have been played on the PS2/Xbox/GC only a lot prettier. Nintendo may have sold the most consoles and while they did motion control a lot better than Sony & Microsoft, they seemed to have abandoned it mostly for the Wii U. They did very well at getting none gamers to buy into the Wii but they didn't do so well at keeping the "core" crowd on board and in the end they are the ones that matter because they're the ones who spend more on games. Most people who bought a Wii only break it out for parties and the latest fitness/dance title.

Next gen seems very open, it depends on who has what. I really don't think that graphically it's going to be a huge advancement compared to N64 to Gamecube or PS2 to PS3. I think Nintendo has a good shot at getting the "core" crowd back, it just needs to get the big guns out but so far I think they've done brilliantly well to get a very good launch line up and implement some excellent features without having a monthly subscription fee, just a shame that Ubisoft has used the controller a lot better with ZombieU than Nintendo has with any of their games. I think it has a better chance of having most of the big hitters for the next 3-4 years than the Wii did as well as the Nintendo greatness that we come to expect so we won't have months of not playing a damn thing. I'm worried about Sony, they cannot afford another pricey console release but they also need to at least match what Microsoft have in terms of power and features. They're going in to the next gen in 3rd place and with the Vita as a potential failure (which sadly I don't ever see coming out of the rut it is in) Microsoft have a huge install base, they stole a lot of Nintendo and Sony gamers this gen but then they do stuff like Kinect which for a pricey peripheral has sold extremely well, hasn't done what it promised to and when you see the words "Kinect only" your mind thinks "piece of shit game". Their next console will probably have a more advanced version of Kinect instead of being a lot more powerful. For me the winner of the next gen will be whoever has the best features rather than power, it's kinda wide open until we see exactly what Sony & Microsoft have to offer and I really don't see them releasing new consoles until 2014.

shoyrumaster11

Trophies
XP
Country
For me, i'm generally a PC/Nintendo/Sony gamer so, you know what i think won! Yes, the PS3! Despite the amount of times PSN got hacked and the advanced processor in the system! I think Sony did another stunning job for their time! But. Since i'm no fanboy or graphics hound, the Xbox 360 definitely get's a few points from me, too! But as for the Wii. Sorry Nintendo, but your'e not really my favorite anymore so, very little points go to you!

Gold Medal: Sony's PS3
Silver Medal: Microsoft's Xbox 360
Bronze Medal: Nintendo's Wii

Maybe next gen, Nintendo may at least get a Silver, or maybe a Gold if it can beat the PS4 or Xbox 720. Who knows. At least Ninty are still giving us a glimpse of what the next gen systems will be!

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Gaming's been going to the worse in this gen...
I'm between the Wii and ps3, leaning to the wii for lots of reasons...
Also i never got the Realism and graphics craze, real life is the most realist game with the best possible graphics...
The ps2 still wins

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If I'm being completely honest with myself, I feel that the DS outdid all the consoles. Maybe this is just because I really like handheld gaming, but there are just so many games on that system that really captivate me. And though it wouldn't be fair to count the 3DS (since that's more of a "next gen" handheld, along with the Vita), the addition of the 3DS as a new system that you can still play DS titles on only made it that much better.

Reactions: Ace Overclocked

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have long maintained the PS3 and 360 are more or less identical and a good PC does most of what they do (and often better). I had a wii, but I felt no attachment to it and no desire to maintain one and could possibly +1 a "after having a go on the wii for a couple of hours you would nothing by never playing one again".

Time wise- probably my DS. Mainly through tetris DS being the thing I usually use to occupy my hands, although there was an awful lot I enjoyed there.
If I have to pick a non portable probably the 360 although PC could get there and I played my 360 via my PC monitor and in my PC chair with the thing usually being obscured by my PC. To that end the 360 was just a bit less work than installing a PC game for essentially the same effect.

Loser- online games for me. I had liked online play at one point in time.... today I can not summon the tiniest bit of will to participate in it.

Winner- after the utter banality of the PS2, the GC and the xbox as far as most things went this go around had new and interesting ideas that were merely glimpsed before now a staple of the games.

PJM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't really decide between the 360 and Wii. I own all 3 systems, but the PS3 hasn't been turned on in over a year.

Between the PS3 and the 360, they are very similar, but Xbox Live decided it for me, with PSN being... just horrible. I'm not even talking about when they were hacked and it was down for what seems like forever, but in general, the only con with Live over PSN is price, and I'd gladly pay for PSN if it meant having a better service. I do like being able to use my own Bluetooth accessories with my PS3, and in that regard, I'd say the PS3 hardware is better, but it's not about hardware, it's about the whole experience, and nothing can touch the 360.

The Wii has games, great games, and no matter how much I love my Xbox, I always end up using my Wii just as much for gaming. I love how I can use my 360 for everything, streaming TV and movies from my desktop, media center, Netflix, Zune... err Xbox Music... just everything, but I have more fun gaming on the Wii, and when I'm playing games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, I don't even think about how it's not in HD, a beautiful game is a beautiful game.

Basically, the 360 does so many things right, and the Wii is for games, I can't choose because I use them equally.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For the people who say the Wii, I'm surprised no one has mentioned dedicated local multiplayer games. So few PS3/360 games have that, and the ones that do are almost all shooters (nothing wrong with that, but a change of pace is nice). The one huge exception I can think of is the LEGO series games, which are also available on Wii.
I gotta say that this was indeed the major selling point to my girlfriend. Not "just" that she went ape over Kirby Epic Yarn, but that you could play together and have fun together (where it doesn't really matter that skills are unbalanced).

But to myself...no. It's not really a miracle, though: sharing the same screen is better than splitscreen. And that gives an edge to platformers and even casual games over racers and shooters (unless the latter is an on-rails shooter, obviously).

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its hard for me to say. I own all three and the xbox 360 gets the most use by far, but the ps3 does have some great games (uncharted series, God of war, Littlebigplanet, etc) And the wii had great nintendo games as usual but lacked in the 3rd party department (Nobody buys a nintendo console for third parties though) so I really have no idea who wins. If I had to name one i'd choose the cop out and say us gamers won...its been a great generation of consoles. Don't get me wrong it had its faults but all in all it was great.

Also kudos to all the indie pc devs, they are doing a hell of a good job this gen (pcs don't follow gens but you know what I mean)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For me personally, none of the home consoles won for me.
I found most of the games for the PS3/360 to be fun, but there are far too many sandbox and FPS games for me to enjoy them anymore. Not to mention a serious lack of offline gaming.
I am also a survival horror fan and a lot of the horror games in this generation seriously sucked, most of them just used cheap jump out scares.
Then when it comes down to something like Nintendo, the Wii had it's fair share of fun games, but far too much shit to dig through to get to them. At this point I don't even use my Wii anymore for gaming, I mostly use it for Netflix and Hulu Plus.

I say the DS is pretty much the only system in this generation I think won it for me. It had a far wider variety of games as well I find myself playing my DS far more than the other systems.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I gotta say that this was indeed the major selling point to my girlfriend. Not "just" that she went ape over Kirby Epic Yarn, but that you could play together and have fun together (where it doesn't really matter that skills are unbalanced).

But to myself...no. It's not really a miracle, though: sharing the same screen is better than splitscreen. And that gives an edge to platformers and even casual games over racers and shooters (unless the latter is an on-rails shooter, obviously).
That's one of the main reasons for me, actually. I want to actually be able to play games with my girlfriend, without having to buy a second TV, second console, pay for a second online subscription, and pay for a second copy of the game. -_- It's ridiculous.

Reactions: suppow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol