Which passport to get?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tranquil, Jun 9, 2009.

Jun 9, 2009

Which passport to get? by Tranquil at 1:33 AM (1,122 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Tranquil
    OP

Member Tranquil GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Anyone know which of these two has better compatability? If someone knows about both of them, please tell me.

Essential

Elite

2. donowprod

Newcomer donowprod Advanced Member

United States
    I just did the 10 min wii fit test on my 500 gb elite and it passed the spindown test. I have not done the mario kart test yet but heard that if it passes the wii fit test (10 min aerobics boxing) all is fine and the drive doesn't suffer from unwanted spindown.

The elite so far has worked for me. I will report back when I am able to test it for more length of time.

edit:

I did the Mario Kart test for 30 min and it seems fine.
    Is there a game that doesnt use the HD for roughly 30 min to test this issue?
    Or a foolproof way to test the spindown issue?
    Can wii fit be paused fo 30 min or more during gameplay to test this?

I know some say not to buy this drive but it was given as a gift so I thought I would use it with my wii.
    If it has a tendency to crash I will crack it open an stick the drive in my macbook if compatable and buy a seagate and put it in the WD enclosure.

3. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If the WD Passport is like the WD MyBook, the Mario Kart test is invalid, as is the 10 minute Wii Fit test. The reason is that the spindown is set for 20 minutes, not 10. If you pause Mario Kart at the end of a race for 20 minutes, I bet the game will freeze for a few seconds before continuing. The problem with this is that some games will not allow for that spinup time, and just freeze outright. cIOSrev13b seems to fix the spindown problem (at least with WD MyBook), but then you get the additional issue of having to reboot the Wii after playing a game through USB Loader, or else the next game you load will freeze.

4. Shonk

Newcomer Shonk Advanced Member

United States

I think its more to do with the sata to usb chipset than the drive

I have a 160gb Freecom Classic 2.5" with a Samsung drive in it and it doesnt work at all with the wii

I have the shell from a WD 250 gig essential that i fitted the hd into my ps3
    I fitted the 160Gig Samsung into the WD essential and it works fine
    tried pausing mario kart wii for 30mins also fine

5. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's very simple. Don't buy either.

6. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    why anyone still gets any other usb drive for the wii but a seagate freeagent go is beyond me... really makes no sense

7. caffeinejunky

Newcomer caffeinejunky Newbie

United States