Hacking Which one?

Awesomeadam76

New Member
OP
Newbie
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
4
Trophies
0
XP
10
Country
United States
Okay, I am really looking into getting a storage device or a flash cart (whatever they are called).
I don't really understand much of, well anything that has to do with them...
I have a DS lite, and I am wanting something to run homebrew games, MP3's, Emulators (mainly SNES, and if possible mame or something similar), and maybe flash.
I also would like to pay less than 50$.
The main reason I am looking for one is emulation, so that is mandatory.
Also I would like Video capabilites of some sort.
Im sorry if this has been asked before or its obvious.
Thanks!
 

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Joined
Dec 10, 2009
Messages
2,845
Trophies
1
Location
here
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
1,076
Country
Canada
SuperCard DSTWO. 35$ on Shoptemp. Has a GBA emulator and lots of other features. Also has a SNES emulator built for it.
AceKard 2. Lightweight, less features but does it's job well. Great compatibility for both homebrew and roms

Music and Videos , use moonshell.
SNES emulation for both carts, use SnemulDS
No flashcart can play flash. The DS isn't powerful enough.
 

Awesomeadam76

New Member
OP
Newbie
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
4
Trophies
0
XP
10
Country
United States
I was looking at the DSTWO the other day, and thought i would go with that, and now my suspicions have been confirmed. I have only one question.
If it already has a snes emulator, why do i need SNEmulDS? Will it just work better or something?
Oh, yes, and this may be off topic, but any sugestions for size of MicroSD card i will want/need?
 

WaffleDee

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
74
Trophies
0
Location
Pillow Land
XP
57
Country
Canada
Awesomeadam76 said:
I was looking at the DSTWO the other day, and thought i would go with that, and now my suspicions have been confirmed. I have only one question.
If it already has a snes emulator, why do i need SNEmulDS? Will it just work better or something?
Oh, yes, and this may be off topic, but any sugestions for size of MicroSD card i will want/need?

No you won't need SNEmulDS, the DSTWO has a better emulator designed for it. I'm not sure why trumpet is recommending the "acekard+3 in 1" for SNES emulation over the card that has a native SNES emulator... Possible fanboyism?

Also, I would recommend a 4 or 8 gig microSD, 8 if you want to put a lot of videos on it, 4 if it's too expensive.

Hope this helps.
 

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,363
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
693
Country
United States
WaffleDee said:
No you won't need SNEmulDS, the DSTWO has a better emulator designed for it. I'm not sure why trumpet is recommending the "acekard+3 in 1" for SNES emulation over the card that has a native SNES emulator... Possible fanboyism?

Also, I would recommend a 4 or 8 gig microSD, 8 if you want to put a lot of videos on it, 4 if it's too expensive.

Hope this helps.
Here we go again, this "fanboyism" thing. Just because I recommend Acekard doesn't mean I hate DSTWO or I'm a fanboy of Acekard.

Back on the topic SNEmulDS and DSTWO both have pros and cons. SNEmulDS uses 3in1 to expand memory while DSTWO uses onboard CPU to assist emulation. Both methods speed up emulation. Biggest problem on DSTWO is audio. Biggest problem on SNEmulDS is configuration.
 

WaffleDee

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
74
Trophies
0
Location
Pillow Land
XP
57
Country
Canada
There are a couple more reasons I recommended DSTWO. Referring to TC's first post:

Awesomeadam76 said:
Okay, I am really looking into getting a storage device or a flash cart (whatever they are called).
I don't really understand much of, well anything that has to do with them...
I have a DS lite, and I am wanting something to run homebrew games, MP3's, Emulators (mainly SNES, and if possible mame or something similar), and maybe flash.
I also would like to pay less than 50$.
The main reason I am looking for one is emulation, so that is mandatory.
Also I would like Video capabilites of some sort.
Im sorry if this has been asked before or its obvious.
Thanks!

1. NDSSFC (supercards snes emulator) is much easier to configure, and short of the audio, has better combatibility.
2. TC wants a cart with the best emulation capabilities, which is the supercard due to it's CPU. (a mame emulator was released today actually, other emulators may be released in the future)
3. DSTWO is getting a video player very soon, that appears to be the highest quality method of watching videos on a DS. Another World's hands-on impression was very positive.
 

Awesomeadam76

New Member
OP
Newbie
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
4
Trophies
0
XP
10
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.
I will probably go with the DSTWO, and with the 4 gig chip.
Last four questions
1. What is wrong with DSTWO's audio?
2. At this site: http://shoptemp.com/products/Supercard-DST...e-DSi-p-97.html
they will flash your card for you... should i do this and is it worth the 2 extra bucks?
3. Where is the best place to get emulators for it?
4. And where do i get the mame emulator WaffleDee said?
 

WaffleDee

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
74
Trophies
0
Location
Pillow Land
XP
57
Country
Canada
Awesomeadam76 said:
Thanks everyone.
I will probably go with the DSTWO, and with the 4 gig chip.
Last four questions
1. What is wrong with DSTWO's audio?
2. At this site: http://shoptemp.com/products/Supercard-DST...e-DSi-p-97.html
they will flash your card for you... should i do this and is it worth the 2 extra bucks?
3. Where is the best place to get emulators for it?
4. And where do i get the mame emulator WaffleDee said?

1. There is nothing wrong with the DSTWO's audio, some SNES and GBA games have glitchy sounds, but that's due to the emulators.
2. Nah, it's not worth it. Unlike other cards, the DSTWO can update itself even in a DSi that is incompatible with it (v.1.4 or 1.4.1). Besides, you're using a DSlite so it doesn't really matter.
3. The best place to get the first party GBA and SNES emulators is the official supercard site. Other emulators are not native to the DSTWO, and can be found on filetrip.net, or you can just google for them.
4. http://filetrip.net/f22004-MAME4ALL-%28SCDS2%29-1-0.html
 

al5911

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
294
Trophies
0
Age
50
Location
Somewhere on earth ...
Website
Visit site
XP
221
Country
Hong Kong
Wise choice. You won't go wrong with DSTwo.
Why not getting 8GB? It's quite cheap
rolleyes.gif
 

macpaulos

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
1
Trophies
0
XP
7
Country
I gotta say that the DSTWO does like the ideal choice if you haven't already gone out and grabbed something. In my case I set aside the DS Lite coz the games weren't running on my Original R4. Now that I found WoodR4 I'm really happy that all wasn't lost
smile.gif
.

So maybe someone knows if there is a good Slot-2 Expansion pack that I can use in conjunction with the R4?.....Was looking at EZ 3in1 on shoptemp but it says its
not the plus version which made me wonder if that mattered if it was even a good one to get.
 

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: nvm im back