Which modchip and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by drdoom, Sep 5, 2012.

Sep 5, 2012
  1. drdoom
    OP

Newcomer drdoom Newbie

My friend recently came by an XBOX so I can't give specifics for the system at this time.

Which modchip is recommended at this point in time? Who is a reliable/cheap seller?

What other information do you need?

Thank you

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    DUO X2 is a good modchip.
    It also allows for the installation of a larger internal HDD.

You can format and install it with Slayers EVOX installer.

Then you can copy over your original C: and E: drive (if you have softmodded your xbox) to keep your original settings

Or you you can softmod it with 007 AUF, Mechassault 1 and Splintercell (original titles)
    And a hacked savegame on a MU (or mod a port/controller to accept a USB drive)

3. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Why not softmod it instead?

4. drdoom
    OP

Newcomer drdoom Newbie

I don't think he's against softmodding, but if you could link to the guides you mention, it would be appreciated. If he decided to go the hardware route, any reputable stores around?

5. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Easiest-Way-To-Soft-Mod-An-Original-XBOX/?ALLSTEPS

6. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i reccomend this method of softmodding http://www.biline.ca/xbox_uxe_method3.htm
    except for instead of cutting your cord use something like this http://www.ebay.com/...=item19ae36ba51
    you'll also need a memory card those can be gotten for very cheap almost anywhere if you don't already have one.
    it's probably the easiest method because it requires no messing with any hardware no wire cutting or soldering or anything else just purchase one simple adapter and use the software.

edited to fix link

7. KellyLutz

Newcomer KellyLutz Newbie

well i softmod my xbox..Sad part the dash version is 1.00.5659.03 so i hotswapped and got stuck with unleashX :( not near what I wanted..the prob im having is changing hdd now unleashX has no eeprom.bin
    is there any app that can be used in the xbox to make the eeprom.bin or any way i can change the dash im using without the need to upgrade the Dash.. evoX from what i see would be the best for changing hdd but being stuck with what i have at this point has me stumped any help would be great :)

8. DinohScene

Antarctica
    The xbox is still bootable?
    Then you can FTP into it and install EVOX as a second dash (in the applications folder)

If not then you're partially screwed.
    You'll need to install a modchip to reinstall the dash.

9. KellyLutz

The xbox is still bootable.. no issues with that but changing the hdd to an old hdd that i have is... for there is no eeprom.bin to coppy to a new hdd.. I can try for the heck of it to coppy all files and folders from the old working hdd to the new hdd but i do not think that will work without changing the linux boot disk i have with the eeprom.bin. unless there is a way to do this that i have not found im kinda lost there..

10. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Download and launch configmagic, that can dump the eeprom to eeprom.bin for you.

11. KellyLutz

Ty all for your help every thing has worked out grate

12. DinohScene

Antarctica
    Sweet.
    Welcomes at all times~