www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ok so i want linux on my old computer:
796MHz
224MB RAM
But here's the thing.
WHICH LINUX?
I want to install it with a CD through the BIOS btw.
And get rid of all my old data.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
psd said:
try puppulinux it doesn't use much resources takes up about 40/50 mb memory so you still keep some good amount free for application instead of loosing it all directly for os and allready need to swap

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm
Well I do like puppies
smile.gif

Ok, i'll give it a shot.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Some people will probably disagree, but I think Ubuntu 11.04 is one of the best and user friendly type of Linux. It can choose how big you want the installation to be, it has support for a very wide variety of applications (most of them free!), and it's an overall nice OS. You can find an ISO through their website.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
suprgamr232 said:
Some people will probably disagree, but I think Ubuntu 11.04 is one of the best and user friendly type of Linux. It can choose how big you want the installation to be, it has support for a very wide variety of applications (most of them free!), and it's an overall nice OS. You can find an ISO through their website.
Most people will disagree with Ubuntu, especially with his specs.
inb4Mazor.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
suprgamr232 said:
Most people will disagree with Ubuntu, especially with his specs.
inb4Mazor.

I'd write a long Ubuntu-bashing post, but for this case it's enough to pretty much leave it at what you already said, "specs". Actually, the machine doesn't even come close to the official system requirements. Ubuntu was a really terrible suggestion for a machine with these specs regardless of any good qualities Ubuntu may be considered to have.

As I see it there are two options:

1. Get a Ubuntu derivative or a distribution such as Puppy Linux that say they are lightweight. The lightweight part is in reality mostly bullshit (but does imply you'll get something that will actually run), you will however instantly get a ready to use system with all the software you will probably need already set up for you.

2. Get a Linux distribution that comes with practically nothing installed and then install only what you need. As long as the distribution includes a package manager this is easier than it may sound. There are guides and solutions everywhere on the internet to help you if you get stuck.

The latter involves a much larger investment of time than the former. Go for it if, and only if, you're willing to actually make that investment in order to get a system with superior performance (you'll also be learning more than a thing or two if you don't have much Linux experience yet, knowledge that will definitely come in handy if you keep using Linux).

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Whenever my hard drive overheats or dies, I use puppy linux with a flash drive. It isn't pretty, but it is quite functional. Now that they intergrated the ubuntu repositories seamlessly into the distro, it is a lot more flexible and easier to get what you need.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
suprgamr232 said:
You keep recommending Ubuntu, but I gotta tell you, that's a terrible suggestion. Specs do have a lot to do with that, but even still, it's not as great as you keep making it out to be. And don't say "It's free" because if you're using Ubuntu because it's free, you're doing it wrong.

Personally, I would say for a beginner, Puppy Linux isn't a bad choice and neither is Mint LXDE. Personally, I would go for Arch if you're really keen, probably using LXDE as the DE. You CAN start with Arch, but it's not typically recommended until you get more familiar with Linux because the installer is text based and the base install is pretty much just a command line. I don't recommend Arch, but the idea is out there so that when you become more competent with Linux, it will be an option.

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Mint Linux has too high system requirments.
Puppy Linux comes up with: Kernal Panic - sync failed
Lubuntu just freezes during install.

You might need the noapic or apci=off bootparameters, if there is a hardware incompatibility. Also try booting in a safe-mode/compatiable install if they are offered.

Linux Mint 11 LXDE seems to only require 256 ram, what else did it need? I know you have 224 but that should be close enough, perhaps you need to use an external video card and disable shadowing, and agp or internal video card memory sharing.

Also try an older distro such as an older DSL from 2008-2006, just to see what runs on your hardware.

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend SalixOS XFCE, Fluxbox, or LXDE Editions.

Any one of them should run fine on your system, XFCE being slightly more demanding that the other two. At least in my tests on a slightly more modern machine, your mileage my vary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end