Which Linux music player do you use.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Nimbus, Jun 20, 2011.

?

No you cant pick iTunes or WMP silly

1. Banshee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rythmbox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. DeadBeeF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Amarok

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Audacious

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Clementine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Guayadeque Music Player

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sonata/Something that uses MPD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Exaile

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Something I haven't listed here (Post it!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Something through Wine (NO iTunes or WMP please)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jun 20, 2011
  1. Nimbus
    OP

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I appologize if I'm not including Windows or OSX users with this, or their specific Music Playing applications, but I specifically wanted this poll to be geared towards Linux users. I don't mind if you run something using Wine, but please post what it is, and don't vote if it's iTunes or WMP, neiter one have worked for many versions now, and I see no point in including them.

Anyway, onto the main topic.

I myself happen to use Rhythmbox, I have always loved it since I tried it out back when I switched over to using Ubuntu 9.04 from Windows 3 or 4 years ago. I hated Banshee when I tried it out, and hate it even more now knowing it depends heavily on Mono, I hate Amarok as it seems to be too confusing for me. Exile didn't really have what I needed, MPD+Whatever was too fugly, so I kept with Rhythmbox, and have all the time through my distro-hopping days, even after I settled with Arch Linux.

I don't at all mind DeadBeef either, it's pretty damn light weight if I do say so myself, but I really prefer having Rhythmbox. It's got alot of features that I probably could not work without. No Mono dependancies (**** Mono. That is all). Pity the replaygain plugin segfaults old R'Box, not that I used it that often to begin with.

So Linux users of the Temp, what do you use?

2. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    I use RhythmBox

I tried using Amarok and it was pretty confusing I actually haven't tried any others out.

3. vincentx77

Member vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Amarok took me awhile to get used to, and I'm not sure I would've ever switched had I stayed in a Gnome environment. I don't particularly like banshee. I'll admit it's got some nice features, but it goes out of it's way to look like iTunes, which I don't much care for.

I never really used media players like those much in windows. Winamp pretty much did what I wanted and stayed out of my way. In Linux, they seem like more of a necessity. But that's me...

4. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    when i still used ubuntu it was banshee, purely because it was preloaded onto it. never really used it much though

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i tried amarok but i guess i just couldnt get used to it. but there do seem to be shitloads of plugins for it and lots of users.

after that, i tried exaile. and ive been using it for a couple years now. the only thing i can find about it to complain about is the lyrics plugins. neither of them seem to work too well. its definitely not a deal-breaker.

6. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I actually just use VLC player myself. It does what I want and that all that matters to me

7. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've recently started using mpd with Sonata on my laptops and GMPC on my desktop. It's quite nice, especially since I can stream to my phone anywhere with 3G service. If I only want to listen to one song I just use mplayer from a terminal.

I've used other players in the past as well, Amarok, Audacious, and Exaile most notably, but that was quite awhile ago now, so I can't say how newer versions hold up.