Gaming Which laptop would be better for school?

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Laptop A (Around $1400)
Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8700 (2.53GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1 64 Bit
Microsoft® Works 9
1 Year Limited Warranty w/1 Year Return To Depot Service
15.6” High Definition+ (1600x900) LED Display with TrueLife™
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330
8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
9-cell battery
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card
Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
Integrated 1.3 MP Webcam w/Facial Recognition
Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled
Alpine White

Laptop B (Around $1550)
Components
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition, 64-bit SP1
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz/1066Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Microsoft Works 9 DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
1 Year Limited Warranty w/1 Year Return To Depot Service
15.6” Full High Definition (1080p) High Brightness LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera/Facial Reco
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
8X Slot Load Super Multi (DL DVD+/-R Drive + RAM support)
85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Intel® High Performance Wireless-N Card
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB
Black Chainlink

Laptop B will cost 150$ more than Laptop B. I am mostly going to be using this for school and the occasional game or two so I might not need that of a powerful system. It would be nice if it was a powerful system though because when I play games I might want to play something demanding. I think I can put more RAM in Laptop B but not in A.

So? Also if you have a better, cheaper laptop you know of that can be shipped to Canada, can you link it?

Devion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why wil you get windows vista 64bit if u only have 4gb of ram?.....
I would go for laptop B because you can add ram and then you can use the laptop longer.... and you simply can download word 2007 somewhere
that's not the problem I think....

Good luck with this one

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would also choose laptop B. But processing speed is slower(?). The video card is 512MB though. 4GB of ram seems plenty though, but Vista is a resource hog and I don't use it so i dont know. But Windows 7 upgrade is free I think, its available on November (i think).

MS Works is BS, its a crap save file format that most school computers don't support. You could always obtain a cracked MS word. Or you could try OpenOffice, a free alternative that support many save file type.

Its like 2:00 here and i am really tired/sore so im not exactly sure what im talking about.

Edit:vvv I like Macs, but Macs aren't really for gaming, its more of a media editing. Windows can run off of it though, not sure how well. Apple products seems very cool/sleek and very expensive at times, and have good support, but I find that the parts they use are crap. They heat up like crazy, i hear a lot of problems with power cords and the connectors and stuff. I really like Macs though, just pointing out some cons. I never looked into the student discount so i dont know if it apply to Canada either.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm a PC guy, but for that price, you might want to think about getting a 13' Macbook Pro. It starts at $1100, but you can get a $100 student discount. If you go to an Apple Store, they should also be doing a deal where they throw in a "free" printer and iPod Touch. It's "free" once you do the mail-in rebate. The initial cost of the total package is somewhere around $1700, but like I said you get some money back. The total cost afterward with the mail-in rebate including Apple Care is around $1300.

Out of those two, I'd pick the second one. If you get it now, you should also qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 7. There's nothing wrong with Vista though.

Edit:

Just realize you're in Canada...not sure if the Apple thing applies, I think it should though.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would second the suggestion on a mac, but think about a 15 inch macbook pro which is not much more expensive than what you are looking at, has pretty decent graphics, and is slim and light for carrying around school.

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Eh... im not really into macs so I most likely wont get one.

I found this other laptop

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220521

I would get this one but im afraid that the battery wont last that long and im not exactly that sure where to get a 9 cell battery for it. Also im not sure if it can the free upgrade to Windows 7.

Hmmm... your thoughts?

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Feels Good Man said:

I would get this one but im afraid that the battery wont last that long and im not exactly that sure where to get a 9 cell battery for it. Also im not sure if it can the free upgrade to Windows 7.

Hmmm... your thoughts?

Mac OS X is really really good and way better than Windows. Also a MBP 15" just weights about 2,5 kg and has a battery life of up to 7 hours

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raki said:
Feels Good Man said:

Hmmm... your thoughts?

Mac OS X is really really good and way better than Windows. Also a MBP 15" just weights about 2,5 kg and has a battery life of up to 7 hours

and they can run windows, worst case scenario. you don't loose any games that way, and the mbp is a great gaming laptop for its size

no idea how anyone can get 7 hours battery life though...

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jiggah said:
I'm a PC guy, but for that price, you might want to think about getting a 13' Macbook Pro. It starts at $1100, but you can get a $100 student discount. If you go to an Apple Store, they should also be doing a deal where they throw in a "free" printer and iPod Touch. It's "free" once you do the mail-in rebate. The initial cost of the total package is somewhere around $1700, but like I said you get some money back. The total cost afterward with the mail-in rebate including Apple Care is around $1300.

Out of those two, I'd pick the second one. If you get it now, you should also qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 7. There's nothing wrong with Vista though.

Edit:

Just realize you're in Canada...not sure if the Apple thing applies, I think it should though.
The free iPod Touch with any Mac computer for students is available here.

Posts merged

UltraMagnus said:
Raki said:
QUOTE(Feels Good Man @ Jul 20 2009, 07:27 PM) Eh... im not really into macs so I most likely wont get one.

[url=http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220521]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220521[/url]

Hmmm... your thoughts?

and they can run windows, worst case scenario. you don't loose any games that way, and the mbp is a great gaming laptop for its size

The battery is like a 9 cell or something I think and unlike the old Macbook's, you can replace the battery.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DSGamer64 said:
Jiggah said:

Edit:

The free iPod Touch with any Mac computer for students is available here.

Posts merged

UltraMagnus said:
Raki said:
QUOTE(Feels Good Man @ Jul 20 2009, 07:27 PM) Eh... im not really into macs so I most likely wont get one.

[url=http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220521]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220521[/url]

Hmmm... your thoughts?

The battery is like a 9 cell or something I think and unlike the old Macbook's, you can replace the battery.

it's a quite big one non-userreplaceable battery (you can replace it with some knowledge, but not on-the-go) and a really good battery management in OS X...not like that rubbish one in windows...(under windows you get less battery life out of those books...not 7 hours under light usage, but still about 5 hours)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM