Hardware Which controller is best ? (advice/opinion please)

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, the past 20 years my main focus has been consoles but I recently purchased a new gaming laptop

I want to start trying out some PC games on it and would like to know which of these would be best

I don't want to go out and buy a new game controller if possible

I own a Dual Shock 4 controller from my PS4 and also a Switch Pro Controller from (yeah) my switch

I just want to know which of these 2 controllers would offer the best level of compatibility and least chance of problems regarding latency please ?

Can I use wirelessly without latency or would the controller need to be tethered ?

TIA

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, tbh, I like the wii u pro controller myself. I have a mayflash adapter for it. it still works even though my bluetooth went out a day or two ago. speaking of which, my system is still under warranty, so I should be able to get a replacement.

anyway, of those two, I'd choose the switch pro controller for two reasons: first, doesn't the ps4 controller require ds4 to make it think it's an xbox controller while the pro controller connects to the pc by default? second, the playstation controllers are made for people with small hands. imo, it's not comfortable compared with the 360 controller. nintendo has the ergonomic feel of the 360 controller with the buttons (especially dpad) feel of the playstation controllers. I can't tell you how many times I've died on a platformer because the 360 dpad sucks.

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well, tbh, I like the wii u pro controller myself. I have a mayflash adapter for it. it still works even though my bluetooth went out a day or two ago. speaking of which, my system is still under warranty, so I should be able to get a replacement.

anyway, of those two, I'd choose the switch pro controller for two reasons: first, doesn't the ps4 controller require ds4 to make it think it's an xbox controller while the pro controller connects to the pc by default? second, the playstation controllers are made for people with small hands. imo, it's not comfortable compared with the 360 controller. nintendo has the ergonomic feel of the 360 controller with the buttons (especially dpad) feel of the playstation controllers. I can't tell you how many times I've died on a platformer because the 360 dpad sucks.

This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for (thank you), I'm not a massive gamer tbh, more of a collector / hoarder and someone who likes to tinker with my systems

I love the feel of the Switch Pro Controller it feels great and therefore I think I'll go with that one, the DS4 is not as comfy in the hands tbh either

I'm kind of wondering if there will be any latency

I've not experimented with pc gaming or attempting to connect wireless controllers in a long time, last time I tried was with a PS controller via bluetooth and the latency was horrible - so it put me off tbh

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure, but it's probably not going to be that noticeable if there is. I only use the wii u pro controller (white) while my wii u uses a black one. anyway, I've gone through a couple games like ys origin with the controller, and I encountered no issues. I did have to create a unique controller scheme for the game, since steam doesn't want to play right with it. I'm pretty sure steam is programmed for the switch pro though (even has its own section from what I remember), but I'm not sure about the ps4 controller. those earlier controllers are almost always emulating a 360 controller unless charging. I can't relate on latency, just that the wii u pro controller works very well with the mayflash adapter. there's a way to play games using the bluetooth of the system in question, but it really messed up my other bluetooth devices. I know this is a nonissue with the switch pro controller. I did connect my snes and nes nso controllers to my laptop. no issues.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, I bought a steam controller on black Friday, when they were like $5 instead of $50. it has one of the most awkward dpads I've ever seen. I don't recommend it.

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
IMO the biggest drawback to the Switch Pro Controller is the fact that its triggers aren't analog triggers. Now, if you're lucky like me and you don't play any game that require analog triggers, you can dismiss that argument. That's how I was able to choose it rather than the DS4 which I don't like (symetric sticks -.-).

About latency, I can't really tell you, I play with my Switch Pro Controller wired (yeah it works wired, you might have to disconnect/reconnect it five times for Steam to detect it, but it still works wired unlike the Wii U controller), so maybe there isn't latency when wired but there is when wireless, no idea. At least I can tell you I don't feel any latency wired. And yeah, directly recognized by Steam and all (I don't mean "quickly recognized" but "without any other software required"), pretty convenient.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's 8Bitdo SN30Pro+ which is pretty great actually, it supports multiple consoles, has a great DPad, good rumble, USB-C, gyro... Plus it's customizable via their own software. It's a really great controller. I also like the Wii U myself :P

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's 8Bitdo SN30Pro+ which is pretty great actually, it supports multiple consoles, has a great DPad, good rumble, USB-C, gyro... Plus it's customizable via their own software. It's a really great controller. I also like the Wii U myself :P

I've been interested in this controller, I don't really want to outlay any more money atm tbh as I don't envisage me playing that many games and I know after some days it will just sit and gather dust

Think I'll give the Switch Pro Controller a go

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither