Hacking Which Cart to get?

Sargentcrunch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just ordered a DS lite off of Amazon and was wondering which Cart I should get for it, I want to be able to play GBA roms and NDS roms and so far I have heard of 3 different carts, r4, m3, and acekard. I am sure there is more, if so please inform me and which one should I get? Thanks!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You could get any of them, all of those will do what you want.

However unless you buy the DSTWO, you will require a EZ-Flash Slot-2 3-in1 expansion to play GBA games.

The DSTWO basically does everything. It's brand new out, so stock is limited.

Avoid the R4 if you are going to use MicroSD cards which are larger than 2GB.
Avoid the Acekard and R4 if you want real-time-save.
Avoid the Acekard2.1, choose the Acekard 2i instead (works on the DS Lite)

If you want to know more about each cart, the best place to start is the reviews section http://gbatemp.net/d8-gbatemp-review-portal#slot1

There will also be a guide for most of carts on here, browse the individual forums for each cart.

Sargentcrunch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does the M3 support MicroSd cards larger then 2gb and support real time save? If so I might get the M3, the DSTWO is like 46 bucks with a card, and I am kind of low on cash now after buying the DS (im a teenager with no job
tongue.gif
)

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sargentcrunch said:
So does the M3 support MicroSd cards larger then 2gb and support real time save? If so I might get the M3, the DSTWO is like 46 bucks with a card, and I am kind of low on cash now after buying the DS (im a teenager with no job
tongue.gif
)
Yes on both, You also have the DSONE though, they are pretty much the same price. I'd probably side with the DSONE, the Supercard team seem pretty active at the moment. There's a FAQ for it http://gbatemp.net/t224763-supercard-dsonei-faq

anonymourse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a m3 real it does real time save, soft reset(like everything) and 4,8 and 16 gb cards. so yeh.it's also got sakura that looks awesome(with skins).

Sargentcrunch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I think I am going to get the DSONE, so before I place my order, this will support cards greater then 2gb I can do real time saving, I can play NDS roms, listen to music, watch videos, etc. And when I get the cart all I have to do is put the files on it, and put it in my DS, no jailbreaking or custom firmware (like the ipod and psp) sorry if I am asking too much I just want to be really sure about this.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pretty much, you don't need to do anything to the DS Lite.

You will need to convert your movies to the DPG format to play them. These will be played using moonshell, you can find more about that here

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Acekard 2.1 and M3 Perfect SD would be the recommended choices by most on here.

I prefer M3i Zero for NDS and well I don't really play GBA but I have an M3 Perfect CF which works fine. There's also some adapters that let you load GBA roms from the DS cart and play them as long as it is a DS or DS Lite. Of course these won't work on a DSi. For a DSi the only options are iPlayer and Supercard DSTwo.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
amptor said:
He wants real time save.

It's something I could easily live without, but if it's there i'll use it. I always hammer the save states on an emulator.

QUOTE(amptor @ May 26 2010, 02:12 AM) Of course these won't work on a For a DSi the only options are iPlayer and Supercard DSTwo.
He's already ordered a DS Lite.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
amptor said:

I prefer M3i Zero for NDS and well I don't really play GBA but I have an M3 Perfect CF which works fine. There's also some adapters that let you load GBA roms from the DS cart and play them as long as it is a DS or DS Lite. Of course these won't work on a DSi. For a DSi the only options are iPlayer and Supercard DSTwo.
M3 perfect SD????? Why are you recommending a completely outdated GBA cart????

Miser said:
That thread is biased / not up-to-date.
How?

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Miser said:
DeltaBurnt said:
That thread is biased / not up-to-date.
last update was 10 days ago.Your siggy however is what you're referring to
wink.gif
.Last update was 3 years ago.

But seriously don't listen to the troll guys

On topic,your question is pretty much answered.SCDS2 if you got money,it plays gba roms native-ly.AK2i,M3 or any other(as long as it's still updated,unlike R4 or DSTT) and bundle it with an ezflash 3-in-1(for Lites and phats only,if you're using DSi get SCDS2)

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not trolling. The guide is. It's telling people not to buy an R4, even though it's the cheapest card you can get and has great build quality and currently the second best game compatibility (right after DSTWo) with WoodR4. I'm not a fanboy, it's just ridiculous how people, even mods, are allowed to bash a perfectly good card like this. R4 + WoodR4 is a very good choice for a phat/lite user.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Miser said:
I'm not trolling. The guide is. It's telling people not to buy an R4, even though it's the cheapest card you can get and has great build quality and currently the second best game compatibility (right after DSTWo) with WoodR4. I'm not a fanboy, it's just ridiculous how people, even mods, are allowed to bash a perfectly good card like this. R4 + WoodR4 is a very good choice for a phat/lite user.
Wood R4 is a bonus for those who have R4's,aka the original buyers,the ones who bought it on release(for example,PharaohsVizier,who spent lots of monies on it).It's not an excuse to buy an R4.

YWG can drop Wood R4 anytime he wants,if he does,will you buy an R4 still?At least with other cards,like M3,SC,AK and Cyclo,they are very much alive and support their current line of cards.

I also see you have a special hate of Acekards.Acekard is a few dollars more than R4,great support,both official and unofficial,it has perfect compatibility,especially since Normmatt is so dedicated on it.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Lolzed, I'm not going to have this argument again.

What you said about YWG also goes for Normmatt. Please realize the irony in your statement.

I don't hate the Acekard, but the fact is that they're not very well built. They don't have much official support either. AKAIO is what makes them good.

Just saying, the guide is biased. Anyone who's unbiased can see that. Don't need any R4 haters / Acekard fanboys to start arguing again. Which is why I'm done with this thread also.

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Miser said:
Lolzed, I'm not going to have this argument again.

What you said about YWG also goes for Normmatt. Please realize the irony in your statement.

I don't hate the Acekard, but the fact is that they're not very well built. They don't have much official support either. AKAIO is what makes them good.

Just saying, the guide is biased. Anyone who's unbiased can see that. Don't need any R4 haters / Acekard fanboys to start arguing again. Which is why I'm done with this thread also.
Ohai there, I am unbiased in this matter cause I am a supercard fan.

If Akaio gets dropped, Acekard official firmware is still getting updated, while not being very GOOD, at least its SOME sort of support, where's R4s? Agreed on the build quality though, when I held it, it felt like it was gonna float out of my hand compared to me DSone.

Kthx, bye.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk