Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still running 3.15 here
nayps3.gif
, because I protest $ony treating feature neutering as a firmware 'update'.
hate2.gif

So, to say the least, I'd been waiting on seeing geohot's firmware finally come out so I can update my 60GB unit.

Finishoff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well the answer for that is... it is out when Geohot puts it out.

Congrats on sticking to the 3.15 firmware. I caved in and updated my fatty.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finishoff said:
Well the answer for that is... it is out when Geohot puts it out.

Congrats on sticking to the 3.15 firmware. I caved in and updated my fatty.
Mostly, it was a case of Sony 'breaking the last straw' for me.

The 60GB I have now is technically my fourth PS3. I only wanted the 60GB model because the 20GB's weren't around, and too many of the games I own and have on backup simply have significant glitches or wouldn't have run at all on the soft-BC units. If it wasn't just dumb luck being able to find a 60gig at an affordable price when I did, I probably would have skipped the ps3 altogether. Then they kept breaking...
angry.gif

I admit I currently don't run Linux on my PS3, but that is partly due to not being able to afford a (IMO) big enough hard drive to put in it. Just recently found out about this 'modified' distro that was streamlined for the PS3 and turned it into an awesome emulator box. When I watched the youtube of it running after it was all set up, I knew then that I had a legit reason to start running Linux on my ps3
nayps3.gif
A week after seeing that, was when I found out about the 3.21 update neutering that feature out... I was willing to let it slide when the slims didn't have it in the first place, but retroactively removing it from those of us that did have the feature for it?
hate2.gif
Nuh uh. No way, no sir.

Besides, I didn't play online with the ps3 that much to begin with. And as far as backups go, I'd just be happy if I could get my ps3 to play my ps1 and 2 backups, so I can FINALLY retire my very, very aged (and chipped) PS2 - ironically, the most reliable piece of electronics that I ever purchased with a Sony logo.
tongue.gif

Well, long story short, I'd already had bad blood with Sony going into the PS3... but this latest move from them pretty much shattered any desire for me to want to continue giving them money, until I can find a way to rectify this, whether Sony-approved solution or not.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
read his blog. it states there that "there's no release date yet"

actually i got 2 PS3's, 1 a EUR 60GB SKU Console and capable of booting PS1 PS2 games with complete memory card readers built-in, and 4 USB slots and also i have PS3 slim which is frankly useless for me right now, i only use this for playing games inside PSN. (As of now, i got more than 20+ PSN games on my account +1 with the new Final Fantasy IX, that were just release lately.) i dont want those my PSN games collecting dust there, so i brought a Slim for that purpose.

btw. my PS3 Phat 60GB is still running 2.53 FW, which is generally required firmware version with the game "Trusty Bell: shoupan no yume" hoho love that game.

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm yeah here read :S..
source:: Twitter
biggrin.gif

Omega191

@marcan42 The worse part is Sony knows we have the key now.
about 9 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to marcan42
Reply Retweet

Mathieulh
Strasbourg really sucks on Sundays, it's more or less a dead city with nothing to do :/
about 9 hours ago via web

Mathieulh
@marcan42 of course the tarballs and the updater self inside the pups are all encrypted with the self crypto and have a stronger signature.

Mathieulh
@marcan42 what was much more stupid of them was to put the key in a vsh's prx rather than in the application loader.

Mathieulh
@marcan42 they are, the pups are just containers, the files in them are then signed but you can swap one signed file for another.

Mathieulh
@marcan42 that's how geohot's "cfw" is done, though I have never seen the point in such a hack, it could be stopped by sony in next updates.

marcan42
@Mathieulh I have a hard time believing they'd use only HMAC to sign PUPs. Unless they're totally retarded. Which could be, for all I know.
about 9 hours ago via choqoK in reply to Mathieulh

Mathieulh
@marcan42 you can swap the pup's tarballs to have the 3.21 vsh on top of the 3.15 coreos, then swap the tarball with sysconf_plugin.sprx.

Mathieulh
@marcan42 It's not actually, but I have no idea why geohot isn't showing up. The hmac key to resign pups is in software_update_plugin.sprx
about 10 hours ago via web in reply to marcan42

Mathieulh
@comex I am not sure that's such a good idea, otheros may be required whenever a hack comes out. (though the choice is up to you)
about 10 hours ago via web in reply to comex

Omega191
@marcan42 Or he backed off because he didn't want to piss us off any more.
about 10 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® in reply to marcan42

marcan42
@comex hack it instead. it's clear by now that geohot's stuff was pure BS, so someone else better jump in
wink.gif

about 10 hours ago via choqoK in reply to comex

comex
Wondering whether to update PS3. I don't actually use Other OS, and do (want to) use PSN, but the principle of it...
about 10 hours ago via web

How do you put spoiler tags? I don't even see where it is -_-

D

Deleted-171178

So basically Sony are using a PRX file to sign their files?
Isn't that almost as stupid as...Uhh, I dunno, putting the Common-Key in an IOS?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Lets face it- why would Geohot release it? Why would he not just keep it for himself? All he gets is endless amounts of people asking where it is; he's made it up; he's taking too much time. He showed a video of it- but whether that was made up or not- who knows?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
Lets face it- why would Geohot release it? Why would he not just keep it for himself? All he gets is endless amounts of people asking where it is; he's made it up; he's taking too much time. He showed a video of it- but whether that was made up or not- who knows?

Because we as consumers should hold $ony accountable for their advertising campaign? Because the system that's supposed to "only do everything" since launch, has been steadily losing functionality with each new model they release? Because users who purchased the system to employ the full breadth of functionality that the PS3 had available to it shouldn't be forced to choose between being able to run Linux or play online multiplayer, watch new BD movies, et al?

I'd say that's plenty of reasons to release this. It's called making Sony continue delivering the product that they sold you.

Take as a prime example, you purchase a new high-end graphics card for your computer. It comes with many whiz-bang new features, such as the ability to encode/decode different video codecs on the fly, and run distributed computing software. Well, what if your manufacturer decided to start releasing firmware updates or driver updates that forced you to choose between being able to run a new game that just came out, and losing functionality that was previously built in to the card's hardware? It's effectively the same principle here. I myself have personally had to deal with that with ATi in particular way back when... to this day I refuse to purchase another Radeon product for a computer I use daily, regardless of how they code their drivers to artificially inflate benchmark scores. What makes you think I'll put up with this same nonsense from Sony?

Considering I spent overall about $2000 before finally having one fucking working PS3, I damn well am not about to buy another unit, and I shouldn't have to. I want the functionality of my 60GB model to remain intact, and $ony being allowed to remove Linux with this update leads only to a slippery slope before they try to proactively brick fully functional units to force everyone into neutered consoles.
angry.gif

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do believe Geohot has done this CFW, I don't think he'd make this kind of thing up seeing as he hacked the iPhone already, he doesn't really need to add to his reputation.

Livin in a box

Trophies
XP
Country
codezer0 said:
Livin in a box said:

Because we as consumers should hold $ony accountable for their advertising campaign? Because the system that's supposed to "only do everything" since launch, has been steadily losing functionality with each new model they release? Because users who purchased the system to employ the full breadth of functionality that the PS3 had available to it shouldn't be forced to choose between being able to run Linux or play online multiplayer, watch new BD movies, et al?
Why don't you do something about it then instead of waiting for other people and moaning at them?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
Why don't you do something about it then instead of waiting for other people and moaning at them?
Because I know that I don't know squat about writing custom firmware, or I would offer my services to geohot for the purpose.
glare.gif
If I did, you'd bet your ass I would be working with the dude to cracking the ps3 firmware wide open.
smileipb2.png

Livin in a box

Trophies
XP
Country
codezer0 said:
Livin in a box said:
Because I know that I don't know squat about writing custom firmware, or I would offer my services to geohot for the purpose.
glare.gif
If I did, you'd bet your ass I would be working with the dude to cracking the ps3 firmware wide open.
smileipb2.png
I'll have to take your word for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them