OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
So if any of you have been following me lately, I am going to be working on hacking the wii mini. I have a few idea of how to do it, plus one kinda cheating method of making it happen. I figure that enough of you will be interested in seeing the process and everything that I do to pull this off that it might be worth it for me to stream it.

I have people donating consoles to me, and I just purchased a bunch of equipment and tools.

So my question is, what is the best way to stream it? Do you all have any interest in watching it?

Obviously, I want a bunch of viewers. The more viewers I get, the more likelihood of a chance that I might actually earn a couple of pennies from whatever streaming service, and damn I need to recoup some costs with as much money as I just dropped down on things.

I will not be able to start this until the beginning of next month because shipping from china takes FOREVER!!

So I am open for suggestions, and I certainly have to figure out how I am even going to stream it bc I don't have a webcam, just a few crappy cell phones that I can do it with.

I thank you all for reading this and I hope that you will get to watch my stream whenever I figure it all out.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A good idea, I'd love to watch the stream itself. Always love a good hardware stream.

But a potential issue here for you is this:

Obviously, I want a bunch of viewers. The more viewers I get, the more likelihood of a chance that I might actually earn a couple of pennies from whatever streaming service, and damn I need to recoup some costs with as much money as I just dropped down on things.

Do you already have accounts with streaming services that you have monetization enabled for? Because if not, you can't make any money with current free streaming services. Doesn't matter how many viewers you get, unless you're already partnered or have monetization enabled for whatever service, you won't make anything unfortunately.

For YouTube, you need 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours worth of watch time from your videos to enable ads and Super Chats (AKA donations).

For Twitch, you need at least 50 followers, 9ish hours of total broadcast time in the last 30 days, 7 different streams in the last 30 days, and at least an average of 3+ people viewing your stream at each broadcast to be accepted in their "affiliate" program which lets you run ads and get bits (AKA donations).

Since those are the biggest streaming platforms these days, if you don't have either you probably can't make any money you spent back unless you can convince people in the stream to donate to you directly or something.

EDIT: It may be worth asking the mag staff if you can use the official GBAtemp Twitch account to do this, maybe give Chary or T-hug a PM and try to work something out there.

Regarding how to stream, you really should pick up an actual webcam, something high quality that you could possibly control easily so you can get a decent view of the internals of the Wii Mini (since I assume you'll be doing hardware hacks, being able to see what you're actually doing would be a good idea :P).

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
No. I have never streamed before, but with all the modmii videos i should have thousands of hours viewed on my youtube, just barely any subscribers.

Shit, i dont want to have to buy a webcam.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
So, shockingly, I have 52 subscribers for my youtube channel. I have almost 400k video views.
DeadlyFoezYoutube.png

So I am at 3,785 hours of video footage viewed. I am actually quite impressed that I even have that. I had absolutely no clue.

Most of those views are for my unlisted ModMii guide videos that I made. I have around 18k views on a video of when I hacked gamecube ports onto one of those non-gc compatible wii's.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do from here? What pc end software is best for streaming and managing multiple video sources? I will need to manage probably 2 webcams, and also the video output from the wii. I will be switching between different video feeds quite often depending upon what I am doing at that exact moment.

therocker12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the most important thing for you is to realize that you will not be able to make money with that. i mentioning that because you prominently wrote in your first post you want to have a bunch of viewers. that is not gonna happen with something like that. so if you are still interested with doing all that and not getting massive dollars you are good to go. streaming is one of the most easy things to do these days.

obs (open broadcast software) is freeware and is pretty much the best way to stream. easy to setup and you can add multiple sources.
when it comes to a service. i guess twitch is the most mainstream but i am not sure how their stance is on hacking an old system. it could happen they put that stream down so it could be you have to go on a lower tier site.

once again. you will earn not a single penny over a streaming service with that. but obviously you can set up a donation page, noone can forbid you that.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
@therocker12
I thank you for your input. My wife and I have been talking for the past year about starting a youtube channel following our journey as we are homesteading. We figure that we have the capabilities to film it and upload it, and we are already doing all this really awesome farming work, and I am always building stuff and doing awesome tech stuff, why the hell not upload it and see where it goes. If I don't make any money off of it, it wont bother me at all because I am also doing it for my 2 daughters that I have not seen in over 3 years that their evil bitch mother has been keeping from me.

npiet1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@therocker12
I thank you for your input. My wife and I have been talking for the past year about starting a youtube channel following our journey as we are homesteading. We figure that we have the capabilities to film it and upload it, and we are already doing all this really awesome farming work, and I am always building stuff and doing awesome tech stuff, why the hell not upload it and see where it goes. If I don't make any money off of it, it wont bother me at all because I am also doing it for my 2 daughters that I have not seen in over 3 years that their evil bitch mother has been keeping from me.

The only problem I can see, is that editing takes a long time. When I was heavy into my online job. I was filming 8 hours a night, then spending the next 8 hours editing. The money was descent enough to make it worth while though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...