When will New 3DS price bottom out?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Negatronic, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    Just thinking out loud here. Nintendo just announced it is moving to a unified Switch platform. We all know that means 3DS will not be on store shelves much longer, right?

I remember I was in at a black Friday event in Walmart, probably 2004, 2005. They had a pallet of GBA micros for $40. A sealed one is worth around $250 today. I have invested so much time and effort into the 3DS scene. Maybe not as much as some of you, but I have made a little hobby of it and had a blast. I don't want to let it go. Its unlikely that nintendo will ever release a 2 screen device, so if we want to play these games, we'll need to have hardware, unless you want to play on PC :/.

I could see 3DS prices going way up in the coming years, but where is the bottom? I think it can't be too much farther off. I've gotten a few cherry new 3DS consoles in the 100-120 range in the last 6 months or so. Will it come down more? Probably not a whole lot more, right?

I think the used 'New' 3DS market may already be seeing a spike based on the recent Nintendo announcement. I was finding nice used ones in the $110-115 range a couple on months ago. Now struggling to find anything decent < $130. I say 'New' 3DS, obviously because if you wanted to have one for the long term, you would probably want a 'new' 3DS XL or a 'new' 2DS XL in order to be able to play any game and use any feature. Older DS hardware is found much cheaper of course, and is a viable option on a budget.

Last edited by Negatronic, Jan 13, 2019
  2. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    I don't believe they're still in print, Amazon doesn't seem to be selling them new, but for a time, SNES-design New 3DS XL was $150 new on Amazon.

Negatronic likes this.
  3. E1ite007

E1ite007 GBATemp's Acid Techno DJ And Producer

Nov 19, 2016
    Mexico
    Here in Mexico, the only 3DS consoles that you could find new still to this day, are the special editions.
    The regular editions as @CeeDee are likely to be out of print by this moment.
    This is probably the last year Nintendo releases new first-party games for the 3DS.

Negatronic likes this.
  4. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    You're even more out of luck if you're looking for n3dsXL with IPS screen. In general thought I don't think they're prices are going to get any cheaper.

5. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    How can you tell if it has the IPS screen? Is it a different model number?

6. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    You look at the screens from an angle. if the colors wash out they're not IPS. Some are dual IPS, some are top ips bot TN and others are Top TN, bot IPS. Best is dual IPS, next is Top IPS (since most games are played on top screen) and third would be Top TN, bot IPS> but the majority of them are dual TN screens.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I found a few Top IPS models by going to gamestop and asking the employee to let me see the screens on before I bought.

E1ite007 likes this.
  7. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    Yeah so I just googled it. I didn't know there was any difference. Apparently I JUST sold my only IPS system today. Oh well.

8. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    I don't sell my consoles anymore. The last one I sold was a sega saturn.

Negatronic likes this.
  9. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    Last one I sold was SNES. HUGE mistake obviously. My EX sold my GBA and box of games. Wench. But as far as 3DS, I still have 3 working systems. Always buying and selling. But maybe I should slow down on the selling part.

10. comput3rus3r

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    you never noticed that one of your 3ds's screens looked different?

11. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    I mean in retrospect, yes, it was super clean. I've never had a brand new 3DS, so I chalked it up being in better condition.

12. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    I was kind of hoping there would be a stage like that for the Wii U, but it would seem Nintendo has learned their lesson and that probably won't be happening with the 3DS either. I never even really saw Wii Minis being chucked around for cheap. It's probably why they ended up being so stingy with the production run for the SNES Mini and NES Mini.

Negatronic likes this.
  13. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Well used one price would go down as year past, but in general, it also comes to supply and demand, if the available amount of supply is lower than what people out there demand, then the price would go up. That how come a sealed GBA is like 250 like what you stated @Negatronic because it is harder to find a sealed one.

Negatronic likes this.
  14. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    Right, like the Wii price fell pretty hard and never came back. It doesn't do anything that Wii U can't do, other than play Gamecube.

Thats why I think the New 3DS XL would be a good one to grab a few if we can. It is the pinnacle of 30 years of Nintendo handhelds, and it doesn't look like there will be another one with backwards compatibility.

15. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    You can still buy black and galaxy edition n3DSXL for $190 at B&H Photo Video. Check my sig.

Negatronic likes this.
  16. JustinCredible

JustinCredible GBAtemp Fan

Dec 15, 2018
    United States
    Bout a week ago bought a N3DS XL used on Ebay for $100 + $8.75 shipping. Sold my old 3DS + original DS Lite which made up for the cost of it. Pretty happy.

17. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    Yeah you did well. I got a few of them around that price a couple months ago, but having a hard time finding a clean one in that price range now.

Last edited by Negatronic, Jan 13, 2019
  18. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    That's a pretty great deal.

19. Steel-Winged_Pegasus

Steel-Winged_Pegasus Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2018
    United States
    Was pretty lucky to get a regular sized New 3DS, the Pokemon 20th anniversary edition, too, and tons of extra goodies for $270. Despite being in a used condition, it looks amazing, it actually looks brand new, TBH. The goodies (traveling case, hardshell case, 32 GB micro SD card, FE Fates face plates which are normally hard to find and expensive) AND dual IPS screens made up for the price. Plus, both Pokemon face plates came with it, so that was a delicious cherry on top in addition to Pokemon Blue and Red being on the console.

Last edited by Steel-Winged_Pegasus, Jan 14, 2019
    Negatronic and usernamecharlie like this.
  20. Negatronic
    OP

Negatronic Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2017
    United States
    I think I'm going to keep buying, modding, and flipping them until I find another dual IPS by chance.