What's the deal with the release date?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Makoto0729, Jan 5, 2011.

Jan 5, 2011
  1. Makoto0729
    OP

Member Makoto0729 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The 3DS was revealed to be released "sometime in March" back in E3. Does no one else find it odd that we still don't have an exact release date for it?

It's not normal for an exact release date to still be unknown this close to launch, is it? I haven't heard of this happening before.

Or has an exact date been revealed and I just missed it? A quick Google search came up nothing.

2. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    yea, it is kind of strange... We know the Japan Release is February 26th, but as far as I know, it is still just "March 2011" for the rest of the world

3. Javier78

Newcomer Javier78 Advanced Member

United States
  4. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I've been waiting all month for it. It seems to be going so slow.

I'm predicting the last Sunday of March (So, March 27th, 2011) for the US and Europe with a price of $269.99.

5. troydude6

Newcomer troydude6 Advanced Member

United States
    The process of localization has a variable length, end of March seems like a good guess though.

6. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    You never know. Nintendo could pull a Saturn on us.

Wouldn't THAT be exciting?

7. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Maybe...the 3DS could actually pull it off...

8. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    The Saturn was among a long strain of "Bad Timing" on Sega's behalf. I remember when the Saturn released, at what I remember $400 US, and nobody cared. I was playing Alien vs. Predator on my Atari Jaguar (reserve your jokes on the system, but the game ruled). The PSX (Playstation 1 "one") was around the corner and ruled the Saturn. I must admit the DreamCast was ahead of its time, and still impresses to this day.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "pull a Saturn," but if you mean EPIC FAIL, then I don't think Nintendo will follow suit. The 3DS is already a success, and I can say that with confidence, knowing the system hasn't even released. Those waiting for a revision will only read about the record sales of the 3DS. You'll read stories about enjoyment, and praise. Pirates will resort to downloading movies, and waiting until Mother buys the 3DS. Only then, they will consider spending the parent's money, but only if the games are free. Life has become cheapened, but then again we all reflect on 1983, whether we were born or not. You slam your fists on the bar counter and say, "Damn you Nintendo! why do you charge actual money for your hard efforts?" You turn around, puch the old man in the corner for raising his voice, look him straight in the eye, shake his hand, and buy an extra Supercard 3DS Two for him (because his niece is cutie). Then you log into gbatemp, like you do every day, expecting something new. When it doesn't happen, you reply like this (page up).

9. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States

10. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Actually, I'm pretty sure March 25th has been set in stone for the UK/European release for a long time. If I recall correctly, the date was given for Paper Mario 3D on Nintendo's own website - they pulled the date, but that's more likely because Paper Mario 3D won't be a launch title than because the 3DS will be released later.

11. dsfanatic5

Member dsfanatic5 Team ICO Freak

United States
    Yeah, sorry about that, I had too many beers last night, and didn't read the article. I remember going to Toys 'R Us back in the day, and being surprised to see the Saturn on display. I don't think Nintendo will pull this strategy, but it would be interesting if they did.

12. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Maybe it will be released March 26 2011 in America at US$249.99 [​IMG]
    Hope that is the price (and not the date, i want it EARLIER!!!)