What to do with outdated HDMI cables?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to outright throw them away as they work fine, but if the TV or the device it's connected to requires a newer, better one then it'll seem there's something faulty (I thought the PS4 I was testing was faulty, turns out the HDMI was inadequate).

I'll just keep it in storage when I'll have use for an old HDTV/device. Otherwise, it's what they call "e-Waste."

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious what abilities the PS4 has that your presumably ancient HDMI cable does not. Assume one of the extra features like return channel, power on detection or LAN over HDMI that might have once been an option extra or included in a later spec.

Will also depend on length and any random features (90 degree turns can be nice to have), though super long, super short (think HDMI equivalent of patch cable) and more reasonable length all coming in useful in my day to day -- people wanting their CCTV systems installed, random laptops connected to things, old devices that might have squeaked out a HDMI connection people missed (had a VCR-DVD-DVR combi on the bench a month or two back with one but hardly going to need a 4k billion FPS capable thing) and more that are combos of all that coming up often enough that I can't keep them in stock.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar problem with an Xbox One. I thought it was faulty but my problem was the same as yours, inadequate HDMI cable.

That being said, I always keep my spares. You never know when you might need them.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
It just refuses to show video image so once I use a more up to date cable it's all fixed. Old HDMIs are still fine for PS3, 360, Android TV Boxes, etc.
Also, PS4 forces HDCP so an inconsistent signal could be more likely to drop out entirely.
Post automatically merged:

linking a ltt video nowadays isn't going to yield good results lol
Feel free to post a similarly informational video from a different source then.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd save them for devices that don't require high bandwidth or HDMI above 1.0+.

Many old consoles still use those, and it's a good idea to have spares.

Alternatively, maybe do a "hack" with them? Not sure about their pinout but... it carries video amd sound, so something could be done with that.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Alternatively, maybe do a "hack" with them? Not sure about their pinout but... it carries video amd sound, so something could be done with that.
Yep, got two bags of cables organized and reused AC cables so there are plenty if I ever need them.

annah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Alternatively, maybe do a "hack" with them? Not sure about their pinout but... it carries video amd sound, so something could be done with that. redactle unlimited
Well this way, I can reuse most of the HDMI cables I have. Thanks

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested the HDMI cables with my OFW PS4 and after 3-4 I finally found one that works. You'd think "No Signal" you were doing something wrong, but it's the darn cable it's incompatible or so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...