What slows down an app/eats up RAM/CPU?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by Odnetnin46, Feb 5, 2011.

Feb 5, 2011
  1. Odnetnin46
    OP

Member Odnetnin46 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yello,I have an iPod Touch 2nd Generation,and sometimes it can get a bit slow or apps crash in need of some more processing power.
    I was wondering what I can do to make it run faster or free up processing power,in order to remedy these crashes.
    I currently have backgrounder OFF(no apps running in the BG AT ALL),push notifications OFF,one WinterBoard theme running(In summerboard mode) named iElemental lite,most of the time Wi-Fi being off when not needed,and Boss Paper OFF.
    I'm assuming that these crashes are because of it being a 2nd Gen,as it has less RAM,but I really want to get rid of these crashings.
    Help?

2. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Your device model is becoming obsolete. Newer apps use more memory, making them harder to handle for older devices. You can try and remove launch daemons, but you should be careful with that.

3. Odnetnin46
    OP

United States
    *Sigh*...
    Well,guess I'll need a new one soon.What exactly are launch daemons?

4. metamaster

Canada
    Launch daemons are background processes that every device start on boot. They do various things, such as handling push notifications, logging crashes (among other things), internet tethering, etc.

Some of these can be removed safely (logging daemons), while others will mess up your device if tampered with (such as the daemons that starts the Springboard). Other daemons are installed by jailbreak tweaks (like Frash) and others are device specific, but they are still present on all of them (like the one that handles phone calls).

You can remove some of these, but only if you back them up before, since you might take out something important.

5. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Did you do it? Does it improve the device by a lot?

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If you have SBSettings installed, I find it very helpful to set the "Status bar free mem" option so that at a glance I can tell just how much RAM I have left on my system. On your device I wouldn't except to see more than ~30 MB of free RAM at a time.

Make sure you fully close out of Safari, as that will stay open in the background by default. You could also use SBSettings's Processes button to try to clear up some free RAM on demand.

7. metamaster

Canada
    @Jakob95: I tried, but since I have an iPad, I must have taken off something that was important for me that wasn't important for iPod touch/iPhone users, so my iPad crashed every 3 minutes (I followed an old guide...)

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Knowing how much free RAM you have is useless. Free RAM = Wasted RAM. It is far more efficient to have ALL RAM used. Its CPU Usage you need to worry about. iOS will automatically free up RAM when it is needed. Its better not to mess with that manually.

9. takeshi10123

Newcomer takeshi10123 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    iPhone 3G and Apps get to slow and crashes.

10. Odnetnin46
    OP

United States
    Well,I was going to let this thread die.Seems as though it doesn't want to.

I have SBSettings installed,along with the free RAM indicator.Strangely enough,I have around 42MBs free if nothing is running(Before it was 30-20 MBs,I uninstalled some useless themes,and it just freed up.Hm).
    Anything I can do to free up CPU usage?I have nothing running in the background unless I need it to,yet still some apps have trouble running and crash(Mega Jump most notably when loading a level and the shop).
    EDIT:Well,Mega Jump got an upgrade and now has a slightly less power-using UI,crashes less.
    On the other hand,Plants vs. Zombies is now crashing,and strangely after I got the Car Key.
    Ugh,I really don't want to restore or anything,any average-user friendly methods of getting these to work?From what I've seen,they should work on my device,but because I'm jailbreaked,it seems to be using more RAM and CPU.I also don't want to remove any Cydia apps that I've installed,like SBSettings,because of the quick Wi-Fi On-Off button,MxTube,or WinterBoard.