What Should I get?

pizzaman2893

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this summer I'm getting a job, so I was wondering if I should save and get a ps3 or just update my computer's graphics card. My computer has a Ati radeon 2600 pro ( old I know) and it wouldn't cost as much to upgrade it but, I really do like alot of games on the ps3. So I'm not sure can you help me out?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Go for a new computer and download a PS3 emulator! Along with them .iso files and the likes...
What?
Well... I'd go for a new GPU. You can arrr stuff on PC, unlike the PS3.

alphanemisis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
something i have often wondered and been aggrivated with... how in the world can they throw a tiny little 133 mhz processor in a game console, but to run the same game on pc a 2000 mhz processor is needed with at least 1 gb of memory!!!!!!???

dont be surprised if a quad core 3.6 gig prcessor and about 4 gb memory is what you need to run ps3 games on pc ( just sayin)
hate2.gif

definately worth investigating exactly what hardware you need to handle the applications you want. the computer is designed around a purpose, not the other way around. so you might have to get a whole new pc system.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@alphanemisis assuming you are not talking about emulation for one the PS3s CPU (ignoring for the moment any architectural advantages) clocks some 3GHz but mainly because your console does not have an underlying OS (or if it does it is very basic/can be sidelined very well) and probably runs the games at a lower resolution than the PC does (1024 x 768 aka XGA was made a standard in 1990) and arguably is able to be better optimised (consoles are for the most part standardised hardware).

My vote- as it is about 5 years since this console generation iteration kicked off then any game a console can play a PC with a decent graphics card should quite easily be able to match (even with bad ports taken into account) or better a console (to say nothing of improved controller options as well).

kezlehan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say go for the PS3, but that's just my opinion because I've never been much of a PC gamer. However, if you're already a big PC gamer, I'd upgrade your PC

alphanemisis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fast 6191:

in price comparison, i payed 300 bucks for my ps3.... to upgrade my computer in order to keep up, i would need new processor/motherboard, memory graphics card etc......the decent graphics card would probably be around 80 dollars, and the board/processor at least a good 200....

the ps3 is definately a worthwile investment as we expect to have it around for about a good 10 years.... in less than 2 years all that pc equipment will again be outdated!

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
alphanemisis said:
the ps3 is definately a worthwile investment as we expect to have it around for about a good 10 years.... in less than 2 years all that pc equipment will again be outdated!

Most of my pc hardware is 3 years old or so and I can still play the latest games on high settings. Just because it's a bit outdated doesn't mean it's useless.

I can't really see the ps3 lasting 10 years, regardless of what Sony says. Coming from the same company who stated they'd still be supporting OtherOS on the normal ps3 when it was announced the slim wouldn't have it.

bluejays

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd Say get the ps3 its fun and will have a lot of nice games coming out on it. While the PC will always be upgrading and getting cheaper and cheaper...well hopefully. Although I find myself always getting back to the PC eventually...

coattails

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get the PS3. There are soooooo many hidden costs in upgrading a PC's graphic card. You're probably going to need a better power supply which will cost a minimum of $80 if you want a decent one that won't die in a couple of months. You're going to need cooling for the massive graphics card. When your framerates crash in places with a lot of simultaneous activity, you're going to need a new CPU.
Or just screw it all and get an XBOX360... it's basically an ARRRRRRable PS3.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
alphanemisis said:

Most of my pc hardware is 3 years old or so and I can still play the latest games on high settings. Just because it's a bit outdated doesn't mean it's useless.

I can't really see the ps3 lasting 10 years, regardless of what Sony says. Coming from the same company who stated they'd still be supporting OtherOS on the normal ps3 when it was announced the slim wouldn't have it.
The PS2 says hello.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I might as well offer my opinion on some statements made since last post

@Njrg sure it takes a beast of a machine to run but barely functioning it is not- quite a few games run (probably better than a stock install of something like epsxe) and run if not as well as other emulators then certainly still playable. If you find some of the "betas" then you can see big gains every few weeks/months.

@ojsinnerz. big difference between latest blockbusters and just existing/largely out of the big three markets (Japan, Europe/Australia and north America). I am sure we could play counter example with a couple of the 16 bit and older generation consoles too.

@coattails I would certainly not deny hidden costs but outright dismissing it because of the potential is not something I can get behind unless of course you have a vendor machine in which case it is time to think long and hard although that being said some of the barebones setups are doing quite well for themselves these days.

@alphanemisis we have already seen the PC surpass the console versions of games and as Edhel mentions in passing we have left the early 2000s new gaming rig every year regime (thanks in part to the failure of DX10 but I can not see DX11 shifting that).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over