What Programming Language do I need to learn to make games?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Gizametalman, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Gizametalman
    OP

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Hi all.
    Uh, I've been learning C# in UNITY. Unity is a great tool, you can use C# and JavaScript AND Boo in order to make games for almost any modern device.
    And I was thinking about something today... while playing Super Smash Bros 64.
    When I got to fight against Samus, I was thinking about how come Nintendo did not made a Metroid game for the N64. I mean, the fight against Samus in Brinstar (Smash 64) looks amazing. And I was wondering, if I could... make a Metroid game from scratch.
    Must say that my programming knowledge is not very vast :shy: I can barely make platforms, object collition and programming key controls... ugh, so much to learn.
    But nevermind, since I'm still learning, I questioned about what type of Programming Language did Nintendo used to program their games.
    Did they used C? or C#?
    And yes, I know that C# is very different than C.
    That's a question I've been wondering for quite a long time. And because of that question, I made the decision to learn how to code games.
    :D
    Regards!

raystriker likes this.
  2. deisuke1234

deisuke1234 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    i would say both of them since from what i know opengl and other graphic developing uses libary from C and C#. Not a pro but this is what i think at least.

3. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    I already said that I don't have a vast knowledge... so, for Instance... If I ever get to make a Metroid 64 game... do I require something else aside C pr C# in order to make the ROM work with N64 emulators? Like Project64 and Not64 (Wii)?

4. 44100hz

44100hz Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    Nintendo has used primarily assembly, C, and C++ in coding their games. Though, depends on your goals here.

Personally, I recommend learning C just for the sake of knowing it. You'll also find largely that no matter what language you use, there's a way to make a game in it.

5. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Does not C++ is a relatively new programming language?
    It was already in use for those goals?
    And yes... C is a must in my to-learn list.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ah... now I feel dumb. Must research first :blush:

http://n64.icequake.net/doc/n64intro/kantan/step2/index1.html

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Honestly, I would strongly recommend against trying to make an N64 game from scratch. You can still attempt to make an N64-styled Metroid game with appropriately low polygon counts in Unity and it would be a million times easier.

VinLark likes this.
  7. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Of course. It's gonna be a lot easier, that's for sure.
    But I was just wondering... Still have a lot to learn, so right now are just ideas floating in the... air?

8. nIxx

nIxx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    First you should really learn C++ (first appeared 1983 so not relative new) then you can try your knowledge and programm something for PC and then maybe take a look here https://n64squid.com/homebrew/

Good Luck that wont be easy ;)

9. Gizametalman
    OP

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    I first started with JavaScript... then moved on to Java and now C# because of Unity, and planning to learn Ruby on Rails.
    I'm starting with those 4 first... and after that I'm moving to the other C's and Python.

@nlxx Thank you, that's amazing!

10. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    C/C++ for using Nintendo's SDK for good shit; C# for Unity to make Unity projects, HTML+CSS+JS to use Nintendo Web Framework.

11. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    I wanna be a game programmer too, someday hopefully. But for now, I'm made to learn good coding habits in my university :rofl2: I'm learning Racket, a sort of 'distro' of Scheme. We're learning to make many 2D games but nothing too special, all just develop out concepts for the time being.

12. deisuke1234

deisuke1234 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2016
    scheme = when operandors goes opposite and makes a fool of yourself. XD