What phone can do these things?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by kiel379, Sep 28, 2011.

Sep 28, 2011
  1. kiel379
    OP

Member kiel379 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hi im looking for a new phone probibly on contract and want it to do a range of things.
    i would like it to do any of the bellow
    -have a projector
    -able to receive digital TV
    -have brilliant gaming functions
    -have a good camera
    -HDMI out
    -full qwerty keyboard
    -full web browsing*
    -WiFi*

*these are a must

obviously all of these things aren't going to be in one phone but i just cant seem to find a unbiased opinion on phones, all i get is the phone shops trying to sell me their out dated crap at a unreasonable price, i think the projector and digital tv phones can only be ordered in from china so im a bit weary about getting one of those as the last bit of tech i got from china was crap.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks [​IMG]

2. 1NOOB

Member 1NOOB GBAtemp Fan

Canada
  3. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    Any sensible android phone will have WiFi, browsing (and most phones with flash!), and a decent camera. The Xperia Play has a nice gamepad, but there is an addon that you can buy that is a gamepad that holds the phone and communicates via BT. I have never seen a phone that can recieve digital TV, but more and more phones are getting some sort of video out that can be converted to HDMI.

I have no idea about the projector...

Whatever you get will be an android, because of all the features you want.

4. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    what? no analogue multi channel mixers?

5. kiel379
    OP

United Kingdom
    lol, im a sound engineering student so yea i wish that was possible lol

6. kiel379
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for the link, their good looking phones but their all from china and like i said i dont trust them lol, i bought a watch phone when they first came out from china and it was crap. and yea im thinking android as well but iv been looking at windows 7 phones and they seem ok

7. nexus1556

Newcomer nexus1556 Advanced Member

Canada
    lg optimus 1 is my android its awsome... has lot of them features

8. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait and see what the Nokia N9 with Meego can do. Doesn't have a projector, but I can honestly say that you're better of with HDMI output + a real data projector (preferably FullHD in this case). A lot better output and a lot better visual on the screen. Also regarding TV on mobiles, currently it's kinda like the matter with the data projection. You're better of with buying a cheap mini laptop and using that for (possibly on-the-go) digital TV. Windows Phones could be your answer too, but they're going to need a few months/years to get everything working properly. Minor bugs are bound to be present one way or the other.

Currently the smartphone industry is going at such a speed that most people won't notice that some kind of new tech went by and is a standard now. If you're not willing to milk cash for a new phone every now and then, I'd go for a phone with some of your needs and then get a laptop with the other needed specs. Laptops change a bit slower and are usable quite long with older tech. I for example own a desktop computer from the year 2004 or something and a 2010 MBP 15". Both have their uses and the older computer isn't even that slow when it has the right parts (sure graphics aren't on par with a computer which is over 6 years newer).

-Qtis

1 person likes this.
  9. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Consider looking into imported Korean phones. Most phones there have an aerial so they can always watch Korean dramas. To them, it's no less important than having a camera on the phone.

Whilst I've seen some phones with mini-HDMI out to plug into a TV, I've never seen it do anything worthwhile that a laptop can't do better (or a tablet for that matter). Also they tend to suck in other specs. Think carefully about what exactly you need on a phone, and what you can do instead on a laptop/tablet (usually at higher quality and cheaper too).