What OS would be ideal for this Asus Notebook

loco365

Trophies
XP
Elementary OS is nice but last time I checked it lacked many features that a linux OS is expected to have. I would recommend Linux Mint LXDE 32-bit.
LXDE is one of the most lightweight linux GUI out there and Linux Mint is fast and easy to use.
Linux Mint is really nice, and the default user interface is much like Windows. I used it in school and it's one I'd recommend alongside Ubuntu.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So I've looked up the following:

Damn Small Linux - Small but its UI looks like something from Windows 2000 all grey. Ugh, kinda ugly now.
Tiny Core Linux - Same as DSL.
Puppy Linux - Looks fine.
Mint Linux "Petra" Edition - UI's quite nice but the download size is over 1GB. I might give it a try anyway.
LXDE - Great UI and by what it says it runs smoothly on old machines.

Is this serious? 6,4GB is barely enough to install a modern OS nowadays.

Elementary OS is nice but last time I checked it lacked many features that a linux OS is expected to have. I would recommend Linux Mint LXDE 32-bit.
LXDE is one of the most lightweight linux GUI out there and Linux Mint is fast and easy to use.

I have used Damn Small Linux before but I found it to be not as user-friendly. But it might be the best option to save hard drive memory

Yep. It is that small.

4FUiqH2.jpg

It's also worth noting it has another storage compartment but only holds up to 3GB which is sorta pointless.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's flash memory, I think.
I searched the specs of the asus eee pc 901. It says the notebook comes with a 12GB SSD. I guess the SSD must be divided in 3 partitions, one with 6,4GB, the other with 3GB and maybe a third one used for recovery.

If that's the case, you can unite all 3 partitions in a single one by using GParted, then you will have a 12GB of memory instead of 6GB

protomouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're not averse to a little tinkering, I'd recommend Arch Linux with either XFCE or MATE (a.k.a. Gnome 2).

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I searched the specs of the asus eee pc 901. It says the notebook comes with a 12GB SSD. I guess the SSD must be divided in 3 partitions, one with 6,4GB, the other with 3GB and maybe a third one used for recovery.

If that's the case, you can unite all 3 partitions in a single one by using GParted, then you will have a 12GB of memory instead of 6GB
I've tried to merge them in the past when it had Windows but I'll try again with GParted.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I tried merging 'em with GParted but no luck, I even checked out the online tutorials although as it seems it's two separated storages so I'm unable to combine.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried merging 'em with GParted but no luck, I even checked out the online tutorials although as it seems it's two separated storages so I'm unable to combine.
That's strange. Just to be sure, could you run "lsblk" (no quotes) in the terminal and post the results?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Didn't think "Damn Small Linux" was a real thing with a name like that but it is. God damn, these two Linux distros are super small! That's perfect!
DSL is pretty shitty. It was nice for recovery as a live distro back in the days of floppy drives though.

I don't know if you have any experience with taking computers apart, but what I would do is go to a thrift store and buy the cheapest laptop they have with a 20GB+ drive and swap them out.

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk