What Laptop Shall I Get?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by elchzard, Sep 24, 2010.

Sep 24, 2010

What Laptop Shall I Get? by elchzard at 7:49 PM (851 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. elchzard
    OP

Newcomer elchzard Member

United Kingdom
    OK, I'm needing a new laptop, and I know absolutely nothing about hardware...
    I want to use it for:
    • Recording music/audio, just instruments/microphones played through amps...
      Lots of playing of music...
      Putting together videos, etc.
      Just general internet shiz... This wonderful forum, etc.

Thankyou for your help, in advance [​IMG]

Elchzard

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    When recording audio you might want to look into real audio recording hardware (for example: http://www.rolandus.com/products/productli...p?ParentId=104) rather then standard realtek audio devices with laptops. Also what's your budget like [​IMG]?

3. elchzard
    OP

Newcomer elchzard Member

United Kingdom
    Cheers [​IMG]

It's not hardcore recording I want to do, just amateur shit... I'm looking at investing in something like this too...

Well, not massively expensive... I basically need a target, so I can achieve this, and I know I really want something [​IMG] I hope you get what I'm saying, I'm afraid I'm not being very clear, I have a headache [​IMG]

Thanks again [​IMG]

4. Velveteer

Member Velveteer GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Someone's bound to complain, but a Macbook really might be handy here. From a media perspective, they're great. Garageband comes free and is a great start for recording music, as well as being able to add guitar effects, etc. iTunes is also right at home and actually runs well on OSX, not that it's Windows' fault.

5. diando

Member diando GBATemp™ Creepy Arceus™

Canada
  6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Alienware is a bit over-the-top for a simple media laptop. I think any generic laptop in the £500-700 range would suit just fine.

That said, +1 on the Macbook. Macs have many software suites that make them much better suited than PCs in the multimedia industry. Some Macbooks may be a lil bit overpriced if you compare the parts to a non-Mac, but that's the same with all Macs. Also, you can always dual-boot Windows.

7. elchzard
    OP

Newcomer elchzard Member

United Kingdom
    Cheers guys!
    I was mulling over the idea of a Macbook... As I'm running Linux at the moment, i would feel like a bit of a hypocrite, haha... I'm not actually that strongly opposed to the general idea though, I wanted to hear your opinions before I dived head on into spending money... Thankyou for all your help so far [​IMG]