Hacking What is Haxchi or CBHC? FAQs and info

wadisnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
I have a European (french) Wii U but can't find the free game... any idea why ?
In the store, I found 20 ds games but none is free ..
appreciate any help

BlumCoLe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello
I have a European (french) Wii U but can't find the free game... any idea why ?
In the store, I found 20 ds games but none is free ..
appreciate any help

Please, do what I've done: Learn to read and research.

it "was" free.
if you connected your account to eShop at the time they had that free game, your console will still has it for free.
if you bought the console recently or never connected, or anything which makes that you are new to eShop, then the game is not free as it was a time limited offer.
Or maybe that's not free in all countries?

That answer on the FAQ has been edited. (initially it was " If your console is European, maybe you have Brain Training for free.")
Get another game if you don't have any free game, either one you know you will never play (because haxchi and CBHC will replace it and you can't play it!) or the cheapest one if you don't care which game you pick.

mrvandal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last time time I checked on here I installed Haxchi+dimok's patcher+Brazilian install method. Anything new released that I should be changing or updating to? I'm still having to turn on nnupatcher for using the eshop/playing online and turning on sig patcher in the home brew menu for dlc games and other titles. Thanks.

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or does the txt in the original post contradict itself?

Haxchi - Installation

Q: What should I do before installing Haxchi?
A: Be sure you don't have a Coldboot solution already installed! (CBHC or Coldboothax, for example). Uninstall your Coldboot solution first or you could end in a bootloop if haxchi's config is not "coldboot ready"!

CBHC - Installation

Q: Do I need Haxchi before installing ColdBootHaxchi (CBHC)?
A: No, but it's recommended. If CBHC installation fails and you haven't installed haxchi first you will have a partial CBHC.

So at first, it says to be sure you don't have a coldboot solution installed. Then, it says that installing a coldboot solution (CBHC) isn't needed but recommended?!?!?! Or am I just not understanding this?

I'm looking for a kid-friendly solution to have the Wii U boot up with sig-pathing enabled so I can run whatever. BUT, I installed some games via the Brazilian method and if I go down the path of using CBHC (or whatever solution to make the Wii U default into booting up with sig-patching enabled, will my USB drive be seen as foreign thus requiring me to re-install my games to USB via the Brazilian method? I don't think I'll have that problems since I'm not using any sort of fw.img file, correct?

Maybe a better question, what are the steps I need to take to cold boot my Wii U so sig-patching is enabled and I can run whatever? (Needs to be kid friendly. So they can just turn the Wii U on and go. No need to hold down special buttons or launch some home brew app first.)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, it doesn't say that "installing a coldboot is not needed but recommended", it asks if you need "haxchi already installed", the one which is not coldboot compatible.

Haxchi = Haxchi (NOT coldboot)
CBHC = Coldboot Haxchi

Q1: Installing Haxchi (the one which doesn't work with coldboot) when you already installed a solution for your console to autoboot the NDS game is NOT recommended (you could brick).
so, if you want haxchi, be sure you removed the coldboot option from system.xml.

Q2 : You don't NEED to install Haxchi (the one without support for coldboot) before installing CBHC (the haxchi which supports coldboot), because they BOTH install and replace the "rom.zip" inside the NDS game.
if you follow the steps properly, you can just replace the original NDS's rom.zip with CBHC.
You don't "need" (but it's recommended) to install haxchi (which doesn't support coldboot) to see if your NDS game is correctly replaced with a homebrew and working fine (you correctly installed to NAND, you didn't use a bad-signed game, etc.)

The "try haxchi first" is only a way to be sure the user properly bought a good NDS game, and installed it to NAND, and unplugged USB when asked = the user can follow instructions.
We already got someone (I think it was pietemgba) who bricked because he didn't test his haxchi installation before installing CBHC over it.

Maybe you are missing an information.
Coldboot is actually something external to haxchi or cbhc.
coldboot is the action of editing a system file in the console to tell which title to launch at boot. by default, it launches the system menu. but you can tell the console to launch anything else installed on NAND.
Editing that system file (called system.xml) to boot a homebrew which is not compatible with "coldboot" will end in a reboot-loop situation, as reloading the firmware will reload that system.xml which will tell to load rom.zip, which will loop. To prevent that reboot loop brick, you need a special function in the homebrew.

Haxchi doesn't have it, it's not required as haxchi is a manual launching solution after the system menu is loaded.
CBHC has it, as it's purpose is to autopatch the system menu at boot.

Coldbooting haxchi = reboot loop.
coldbooting "Coldboot haxchi" = works fine.

I wrote a quick guide here to install haxchi, and replace it with cbhc if you want coldboot:
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6953376

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@C0mm4nd_ ive found a false answer
Q: Why should I use CBHC with Mocha only for redNAND?
A: If you want only a CFW to launch or install games, it's a LOT faster to only patch sysNAND.

The Reason to not boot CBHC with mocha to sysnand is that youre sysnand gets fucked pretty bad if you run CBHC FW + Mocha FW or any other CFW at the same time for sysnand
Wich ends in a lot of crashes on sysmenu it always will crash when you exit games and randomly crashes othertimes

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
@C0mm4nd_ ive found a false answer
Q: Why should I use CBHC with Mocha only for redNAND?
A: If you want only a CFW to launch or install games, it's a LOT faster to only patch sysNAND.

The Reason to not boot CBHC with mocha to sysnand is that youre sysnand gets fucked pretty bad if you run CBHC FW + Mocha FW or any other CFW at the same time for sysnand
Wich ends in a lot of crashes on sysmenu it always will crash when you exit games and randomly crashes othertimes
CBHC CFW and Mocha CFW aren't runned at the same time It's CBHC OR Mocha

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wrote a quick guide here to install haxchi, and replace it with cbhc if you want coldboot:
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6953376

I'm sorry but I have reading comprehension issues. :(

Talk to me like you're explaining it to a small child.

If I want to have my Wii U configured in such a way that I turn it on and it boots up with signature checking removed so I can install whatever I want, which guide should I follow?

I see your link but I'm confused about Haxchi that supports coldboot and Haxchi that doesn't.

I found this guide, https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki ....... will that work to accomplish my goal? (Guessing I'd skip step 4 and stop after step 5.)

Back in the day, I was all over modding PlayStations, Gamecubes, original Xbox, PS2, Wii, Nintendo DS........... but then I got married and we had a few kids with a super busy work life, remodeling our house (no end in sight).......... I don't have as much time to devote to reading up on modding stuff like I did before so I need things explained in a super basic way with clear steps so I apologize in advance.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think flimflam guide is fine.

in my guide I tied to make short description steps, it's still not easy enough?
I should write a proper guide (like flimflam), but that is taking time too, which is taken by real life too :P

the answer was on the same page.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-haxchi-or-cbhc-faqs-and-info.453729/page-6#post-6958052

We should re-edit the first post as it seems a lot of users are reacting to this not being free anymore.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
For me too wasn't free.
It's only if you had an NNID registered since June 2014 (News time)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think flimflam guide is fine.

in my guide I tied to make short description steps, it's still not easy enough?
I should write a proper guide (like flimflam), but that is taking time too, which is taken by real life too :P

the answer was on the same page.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-haxchi-or-cbhc-faqs-and-info.453729/page-6#post-6958052

We should re-edit the first post as it seems a lot of users are reacting to this not being free anymore.
added

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Q1: Installing Haxchi (the one which doesn't work with coldboot) when you already installed a solution for your console to autoboot the NDS game is NOT recommended (you could brick).
so, if you want haxchi, be sure you removed the coldboot option from system.xml.

Oh. I get what the OP was trying to say now. Don't overwrite your Haxchi'd title that you use for coldboot. I was about to install a different DS title for Haxchi in addition to CBHC and was scratching my head wondering how it could be a brick risk.

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Is is it possible using this and only this (I have CBHC no rednand or anything else) to dump nand and seeprom?. I remember reading that it was something Mocha did but I'm unsure if that was "just" the redirection or the dumping of the nand/otp/seeprom too. I've got a large microsd on order so cant test this myself just yet but want to ask before wasting my time trying it if its doomed to failure.

I checked here https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_WiiU_custom_firmwares and whilst it shows redirection, there is nothing about dumping. It's probably because they all allow/support it so its not listed ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh. I get what the OP was trying to say now. Don't overwrite your Haxchi'd title that you use for coldboot. I was about to install a different DS title for Haxchi in addition to CBHC and was scratching my head wondering how it could be a brick risk.
ahh, you are right.
The FAQ didn't cover a 2 different NDS title to get both CBHC and Haxchi at the same time.

is it possible using this and only this (I have CBHC no rednand or anything else) to dump nand and seeprom?.
SEEPROM and OTP don't even need this (cbhc, haxchi, nor even a signpatch or CFW).
you can run it from a clean WiiU from homebrew launcher.

Dumping NAND is also done from a clean WiiU without signature check or CFW before launching the homebrew, in fact Mocha is doing it, and patching what's necessary in memory to access NAND.

The dumping is done by the CFW (IOSUHack fw.img, or Mocha) if redirection option is enable but it doesn't find a hidden partition on SD card.
if the partition is found, it redirects NAND to that partition.

Reactions: charlieb

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
ahh, you are right.
The FAQ didn't cover a 2 different NDS title to get both CBHC and Haxchi at the same time.

SEEPROM and OTP don't even need this (cbhc, haxchi, nor even a signpatch or CFW).
you can run it from a clean WiiU from homebrew launcher.

Dumping NAND is also done from a clean WiiU without signature check or CFW before launching the homebrew, in fact Mocha is doing it, and patching what's necessary in memory to access NAND.

The dumping is done by the CFW (IOSUHack fw.img, or Mocha) if redirection option is enable but it doesn't find a hidden partition on SD card.
if the partition is found, it redirects NAND to that partition.

Thanks for answering, i'll go away and see if i can figure it out. I'm not trying to use rednand, just dump what i have in case of brick and hardmod is required.

B3DDO3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question guys, I have looked but cannot find an answer. So I have has my console hacked for a long time now and I have CBHC installed and everything is working great. My question was every time I feel like playing a game (backup) on my SD card I have to open the HBL channel then load up loadiine then select my game. Is there a way to make this game a channel on the main page so I can click the game and it just loads right up? Thanks in advance

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to make this game a channel on the main page so I can click the game and it just loads right up?
What does this game refer to? If you want loadiine as a one-click channel, you'd need to buy and haxchi another (different) haxchi compatible game, then configure that to load loadiine by default (be careful that you don't mess up cbhc.) If you want to put games on your menu like a normal purchased game, read about USB loading (it's a sticky in this subforum.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay