What is AHBPROT

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Red_Gh0st, Nov 8, 2010.

Nov 8, 2010

What is AHBPROT by Red_Gh0st at 6:05 PM (20,494 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Red_Gh0st
    OP

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi guys I've been hearing about AHBPROT but can someone explain exactly what is this?

And why do I need this?

Sorry for my english

2. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
  3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Not only this, it gives FULL hardware access, basically meaning that developers can do whatever they want with the Wii, without needing to rely on any sort of weakness or exploit in IOS. (Generally IOS are what gives code access to hardware, but IOS have security measures in them. Accessing hardware directly from code means no security measures to bypass [​IMG] )

4. lulwut

Member lulwut GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    actually, if you are not running your code from a title that already has ahbprot ; you still need to find an exploit in the ios to enable AHBPROT/Disable MEmory protection

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    He asked what AHBPROT was, so I was explaining what effect AHBPROT has when it IS there. Not going into how to enable it. But yeah, that's right.

6. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If I'm understanding correctly it doesn't have anything to do with IOS so much as giving you the kind of access to the system only Starlet (the ARM CPU that the IOS runs on) normally has, but on the PPC instead (the main CPU of the Wii). That means certain things work a lot better or are a lot easier, such as accessing files from DVDs as was already said. It also means things like NAND access are a lot easier.

7. lulwut

Member lulwut GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    ios has everything to do with it
    keep in mind every call(or most anyway) to hardware the ppc does goes trough ios and ios tells it if its fine or not; or if its even possible.
    its ios that gives ppc the hardware rights the AHBPROT flag sets (either in a title tmd or in the registers of the starlet )