Emulation What happened to Denuvo Switch?

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Back in August 2022, i heard the Denuvo DRM is appearing on the Nintendo Switch and prevents emulation of the games.
Months passed, and luckily, there's still no Switch games i found that feature that DRM yet. But i'm still concerned. Is the project cancelled? I want to see if there are any denuvo-protected games, and what would happen if they're run on an emulator, and if the DRM also affects Atmosphere instead of just emulators, because that would fascinate me. Is there any kind of error message that plays when a denuvo-protected game starts? Does the Denuvo switch port target Yuzu, Ryujinx or both?
What happened to the Denuvo switch version?

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Denuvo has online checks to see if the game was bought legit or not. CFW wouldn't be able to go around that even if you leave the console offline all the time and depending on the implementation would probably send an error saying that it needs to go online to authenticate.
Oh, so like Mr. Driller Drill Land which crashes when connected to Wifi in CFW?

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so like Mr. Driller Drill Land which crashes when connected to Wifi in CFW?
No, that's a separate issue.

Denuvo DRM makes it so that the game can't run at all until that copy of the game gets authenticated and verified through Denuvo's own servers to see if the game is legit or not on PC (or console, in this case).

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
No, that's a separate issue.

Denuvo DRM makes it so that the game can't run at all until that copy of the game gets authenticated and verified through Denuvo's own servers to see if the game is legit or not on PC (or console, in this case).
If I remember correct it was just aimed at emulators since Denuvo can't be as much of a virus on the Switch as it can on a PC.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correct it was just aimed at emulators since Denuvo can't be as much of a virus on the Switch as it can on a PC.
After checking it, yes, they focused more on emulation. But they also mention piracy itself in general, as well.

"By preventing piracy on Switch while blocking unauthorized emulations on PC." I assume that it's not just emulation they're trying to stop.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
After checking it, yes, they focused more on emulation. But they also mention piracy itself in general, as well.

"By preventing piracy on Switch while blocking unauthorized emulations on PC." I assume that it's not just emulation they're trying to stop.
Probably not. It would be bad if Switch games (or what ever the next console is called) need to be verified on the internet before working... they should just go Digital Only if so.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I think N didn't give them the green light to go ahead implement. Imagine buying cartridges only to get a notification telling you to connect in order to play. They would be backlashed to no end.

Reactions: mathew77

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably not. It would be bad if Switch games (or what ever the next console is called) need to be verified on the internet before working... they should just go Digital Only if so.
Going digital only wouldn't stop piracy. I assume you said that because the Denuvo Switch thing was about "playing new games early and not on launch day" because of leaked cartridges or something.

Either way, it's a dumb thing and it's been a year since they announced this shit and nothing has been done with it. Just like the Android Denuvo thing.

Last edited by NyaakoXD,

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is at the end of its life cycle doubt many devs will give a **** and pay for denuvo security, probably Switch 2
I can't say if Switch is at end of life cycle until Nintendo announces new console that is successor to Switch.

Question would be when and we don't know about it right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: colonel, I'm trying to sneak around +1