what games could this pc run + which gpu should i use?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zalda, Aug 24, 2012.

?

how much would you pay for this PC?

1. 20-40 USD

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. 40-60 USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 60-80 USD

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. 80-100 USD

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. 100-120 USD

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. 120-140 USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 140-160 USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 160+ USD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    i've bought a secondhand pc, these are the specs:

AMD athlon 64 x2 5000+ 2.60Ghz
    asus m2n-vm dvi motherboard
    GFX card: nvidia geforce 7050 (integrated GPU)
    be quiet PSU
    5 gb ddr2 800mhz ram
    80gb sata hdd
    dvd writer

now the question I have is, would a dedicated nvidia geforce 4200 be more powerful than the integrated GPU?
    Else I can just plug that one in the PC and use it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2nd question, which kind of games will this PC be able to run? i'm looking at MW2, TF2 (that'll run for sure I think :P), AC2? L4D2?

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure neither of those cards would run any of those games. Maybe TF2. Maybe. Lowest settings and lowest possible resolution.

I don't want to answer the second question, but I'd vote 20 to 40 for the first.

3. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I'd be prone to agree with this assessment. You're most likely better off trying to play fairly old games, and by that I mean older games than the ones you mentioned.

As for price? I wouldn't really pay anything for a computer with those specs. It appears rather aged.

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    TF2 is really really light on specs, you can play it on a single core 2.00Ghz CPU.... It's really light, you can run it for sure with this set-up.
    It's a desktop PC I think, not a laptop? Also, 5GB RAM doesn't come cheap, the CPU is decent too. I would give around 100 USD for it, it's an older PC but it's still very usable.

5. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    TF2 used to be really light on specs. With all the crap and unoptimised models and effects they've added to the game it really gets weighed down. My laptop with an 8400 GM has issues running it at 1280x768 on low settings, his 7050 isn't going to fare any better. Like I said in the post, he'll be running it at one of the lowest possible resolutions at absolute minimum settings. Even then he may not be running it at a playable framerate.

1 person likes this.
  6. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Oops, you're right. No idea where I got the thought that it was a laptop from.

As for RAM, 5GB shouldn't cost much at all assuming you're not counting the fact that DDR2 has become much more expensive as DDR3 became common. As for the CPU, I'll give you that it isn't the worst CPU around and might actually be decent enough in some aspects.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    The CPU is ok, the RAM is good, the GPU (both of them) are crap. You definitely won't be playing MW2 or AC2 or L4D2. Maybe TF2 on lowest settings.

If you have the money, go for like...maybe go for something in the GeForce 200/400 series/Radeon 3000/4000 series. It shouldn't be too expensive and you should be able to run the mentioned games on...maybe medium settings?

8. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I voted around 80$ If you want to run newer games with this rig you will have to buy a new GPU and if you buy a new GPU it is 90% likely you will need a new PSU.
    80gb hard drive is also not very big so its almost worthless.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Well that depends if he buys the DDR2 RAM in a store, or secondhand. Secondhand it can get very cheap to find them.

10. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    i can't believe that many people voted 20-40 USD :blink: even secondhand that's ridiculously cheap....

1 person likes this.