What do you think about second hand?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cupboards in the US are usually referred to as places like "the kitchen cupboard" where boxed/dry/canned goods and dishes/glassware are stored. Or "the bathroom cupboard" where toiletries are stored. I don't know anyone here that says "Can you put this in the bedroom cupboard for me?" or "The remote is in the living room cupboard." Dresser, hutch, desk, drawer, stand, shelf, etc. But genreally not "cupboard" here for those types of items.
Oh ok I get what you're saying. I thought you meant a cupboard was categorised as something other than furniture, which was confusing.

Reactions: alt_Human

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's a billion + things one can find thrift shops, couldn't care if it's been through a hundred hands, some soap and water or other cleaning agents and 99% of the time it's better then new haha.

• Love
Reactions: AncientBoi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Cupboards in the US are usually referred to as places like "the kitchen cupboard" where boxed/dry/canned goods and dishes/glassware are stored. Or "the bathroom cupboard" where toiletries are stored. I don't know anyone here that says "Can you put this in the bedroom cupboard for me?" or "The remote is in the living room cupboard." Dresser, hutch, desk, drawer, stand, shelf, etc. But genreally not "cupboard" here for those types of items.
I didn't know what word to use to denote something that was standalone by definition, because everything else carries some kind of implication (turns out "cupboard" does as well): both "closet" and "wardrobe" are usually built in or even walk-in, "shelves" are mounted on the wall and not an item of furniture, nobody owns an armoire, and "chest of drawers" is something out of a Victorian novel. Googling "cupboard" brings up what I had in mind but turns out it's only used for, well, cups.

Anyway, there is very little furniture these days with -porous- upholstery that can't be removed and washed/disinfected/boiled to hell and back. Nobody in their right mind will buy furniture that can't be cleaned. And there's a ton of furniture that isn't upholstered, desks, tables, nightstands, coffee tables, occasional tables, non-built-in closets, non-walk-in wardrobes, standing shelves, and armoires. Armchairs and office chairs are pretty much the only ones these days with permanent stains, and with office chairs they're more likely to be Cheeto.

• Haha
Reactions: alt_Human

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know what word to use to denote something that was standalone by definition, because everything else carries some kind of implication (turns out "cupboard" does as well): both "closet" and "wardrobe" are usually built in or even walk-in, "shelves" are mounted on the wall and not an item of furniture, nobody owns an armoire, and "chest of drawers" is something out of a Victorian novel. Googling "cupboard" brings up what I had in mind but turns out it's only used for, well, cups.

Anyway, there is very little furniture these days with -porous- upholstery that can't be removed and washed/disinfected/boiled to hell and back. Nobody in their right mind will buy furniture that can't be cleaned. And there's a ton of furniture that isn't upholstered, desks, tables, nightstands, coffee tables, occasional tables, non-built-in closets, non-walk-in wardrobes, standing shelves, and armoires. Armchairs and office chairs are pretty much the only ones these days with permanent stains, and with office chairs they're more likely to be Cheeto.

It's glaringly obvious you do not live in the USA. I'm by no means saying that in a bad way whatsoever. Just that it's very obvious. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1