I am the official skribbler
OP
Trophies
Website
skribbl.io
XP
Country
United States
This is an internal CD/DVD drive for a laptop or something by HP, the model is TS-LB23 (I had to peel off a sticker on the drive to see it). But what kind of connector is this? I can't find anything online, and the only thing that shows up when I look up the model is an external BD drive made by HP.

IMG_20221124_113339.jpg

IMG_20221124_113457.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While more modern laptop drives (almost amusing using such phrasing about optical drives in current space year) usually use some form of standard connector then older ones often used rather custom things at various levels (either drive level or to get it onto the board itself) with HP being notorious for it. If you still have the laptop then do see if you can find the board that went with it or the motherboard if it somehow went direct.

13 pins split 6 and 7 means it could be a custom form of slim SATA, https://pinoutguide.com/HD/SATA_Slimline_connector_pinout.shtml , indeed I would generally expect that over some custom ATAPI efforts (more like 50 pins, not to mention blu ray which I am not sure there are any laptop IDE drives for or if they are then super super rare).

Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's a propietary SATA connector, so if you look for replacement must to use the same model, if you like to connect to another device, you need to make a adapter.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It's a propietary SATA connector, so if you look for replacement must to use the same model, if you like to connect to another device, you need to make a adapter.

I'd further check the connector, it could just be an adapter in front of the regular ODD SATA connector.

• Love

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A quick search of the drive model tells you it's a sata connection. From the those pictures it almost looks like the adapter is removable. Just put give it a lite pull and it might pop right out but don't force it. You should have a regular sata connection once removed.

reddragon4000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I happen to have one of these as well, and I found this thread. I couldn't just wiggle it out, it took a lot of force to remove it lol. I had to take off the top, eject the drive, and use a flathead screwdriver (and my fingernails) to remove the damn connector. But yes, it is indeed a SATA and the thing came out. It's just a piece of plastic. Fuck you HP, my thumbnails are ruined!
Sorry for necroposting if I am.
Alright, let's see how the pins are and if I can even use this POS.
Post automatically merged:

I can't even use this! Looks like it uses half the power (probably because it's a laptop spare, assuming it's 5v instead of 12v?), because it has a smaller power connector. I unfortunately don't have a power cable with a smaller connector. Again. fuck you HP!
The power side has 6 pins.

Here's what it looks like:
1692642196529.png

Last edited by reddragon4000,
  • Love

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
So, I happen to have one of these as well, and I found this thread. I couldn't just wiggle it out, it took a lot of force to remove it lol. I had to take off the top, eject the drive, and use a flathead screwdriver (and my fingernails) to remove the damn connector. But yes, it is indeed a SATA and the thing came out. It's just a piece of plastic. Fuck you HP, my thumbnails are ruined!
Sorry for necroposting if I am.
Alright, let's see how the pins are and if I can even use this POS.

I can't even use this! Looks like it uses half the power (probably because it's a laptop spare, assuming it's 5v instead of 12v?), because it has a smaller power connector. I unfortunately don't have a power cable with a smaller connector. Again. fuck you HP!
The power side has 6 pins.

Here's what it looks like:
View attachment 389499

Fortunately ODD SATA is common, so adapters are available such as this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232160579061?hash=item360dd94df5

• Love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.