What can nintendo see?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gamemasteru03, Nov 24, 2016.

1. gamemasteru03
    OP

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    So recently I have begun to wonder what nintendo can see? So by this I mean can nitendo see I am using cia files insted of eshop purcheses? Can nintendo see that I am using a9lh? What nessecarly can nintendo see that goes on with my 3ds using unauthorized content? I am mainly asking this due to the ban wave and a few days ago when I was using fbi I saw that in my friend list it said I was using fbi. Thanks for all the help in advanced.

2. dm646

dm646 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    United States
    they can see anything you post on the interwebz ;) so if they got picky enough they could find out your nnid and ban you for posting that you use cia files ;)

BADDINOROX99 and Kyouken like this.
  3. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    TL;DR: You won't get banned.
    Long answer: we're not sure of what exactly Nintendo can see, what they can't, and what they'll ban you for.
    We do know that they can't see any difference between a cia and an e-shop downloaded game (since they are basically the same).
    They probably can't see you're using a9lh, but we can't be 100% sure. In any case, no one ever got banned for using it yet.
    They can see if you're cheating online, and see if you are using homebrew cias. While people have been banned for cheating, no one has been for using homebrew.
    Just don't do anything stupid (going online with a leaked game, cheating online) and you'll be fine.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Nov 24, 2016
    NekoMichi and GilgameshArcher like this.
  4. gamemasteru03
    OP

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Ok thanks

5. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    pretty much only if you're playing a digital (dumped from eshop or dumped from cart doesn't matter) or a cart game, because card games send out a private header, digital games send like a console header.

bans were a result of people going online before release / with a digital game when such a game should be impossible to have

BADDINOROX99 and GilgameshArcher like this.
  6. gamemasteru03
    OP

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Yeah I know I was one of those people, luckly I managed to unban myself.

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    They can look through your 3DS camera and see you getting dressed

8. dm646

dm646 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    United States
    i hope they like what they see then hahahaah

Quantumcat likes this.
  9. GibFTW

GibFTW GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2016
    United States
    They can only see what is visible via the Interwebz. If they could spy on you, people would be patching the shit out of that!

10. dm646

dm646 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2013
    United States
    patch the interwebz :P

11. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    just want to add to this . . . anyone remember colors ds homebrew app that the creators pulled from gbatemp at Nintendo's "request " and how they then created a legit 3ds version that released in the 3ds's first fiscal year . . . long story short nintendo actually likes homebrew . . . in fact one of the creators of pokemon even (unofficially) encouraged pokemon mod creators to join up officially

12. gamemasteru03
    OP

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    Wow so nintendo actually did that. Was that colors 3ds game made by the same ds color homebrew developers?

13. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    yes sir . . . also they opened their dev software to the public (you still need to buy a dev unit to publish your creations) so you can sign up right now and get developer software (wii u and 3ds sdk) "directly" and legally from nintendo

edit
    i said it before and ill say it again nintendo is considered a toy to most 3rd party devs and desperately need new game/app developers . . . perhaps something someone fresh for their new baby

Last edited by wormdood, Nov 25, 2016
  14. Wrathalos

Wrathalos GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2016
    United States
    Just so you know, other people can't see that it says, for example FBI, and Nintendo will get the same thing: For other people on your friends list, non-licensed 3ds apps will show something akin to "User is playing an unknown app". It only shows the correct name to you because you have the app, so unless Nintendo has the same app, they won't know. Even then it's a grey area as to whether they can see it or not.

Quantumcat likes this.
  15. Kyousak

Kyousak Aye Sir!

Nov 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Actually if you select like FBI as Favorite Software others without cfw and FBI can see the title and Icon

TheDonald likes this.