What can I do with Luma's external code loading?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by videogame57, Dec 19, 2016.

1. videogame57
    OP

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    The Luma wiki explains what it is, but doesn't go over what you would use it for.

Can I load patches/translations/romhacks with it somehow? For example I have the Fire Emblem If v4.0 translation files, and I don't want to have to patch the entire ROM and install it again, can I convert them and load them with Luma?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question.

2. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    Its for romhacks and translations of games.

To use a hack you have to extract the code.bin for your game and patch this file.
    The patched file needs to be copied in the path thats explained in the Wiki.

With the latest nightly build of Luma there is also an option for loading game patches in the ips format so you only need to put the .ips file with all cheats/hack you want (the cheats/hacks have to be combined into one file) in the right folder for your game and Luma loads them when you start the game.

https://github.com/ev1l0rd/ev1l0rd.github.io/wiki/Sun-and-Moon-injection-guide

Here you can find a tutorial for extracting the code.bin out of your game. The tutorial is for pokemon sun/moon but should also work for other games. Just skip the last step were it says to patch the code.bin with SMPatcher because thats only for Pokemon Sun/Moon

Last edited by noX1609, Dec 19, 2016
  3. Pokem

Pokem GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    Does this work with things like model switching?

4. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    Sorry don't know that because i haven't done model switching yet.

But think the pro's on the forum can answer the question (interessts me too :))

5. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    No, it won't, because models are usually in the RomFS. You'll need NTR CFW for that (it runs with Home Menu)

thane98 likes this.
  6. videogame57
    OP

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    OK so basically it needs a copy of the entire RomFS, so it doesn't actually help in my case.
    NTR supports LayeredFS but the requirements to make a LayeredFS plugin call for an installation of DevKitPro.

Probably my best bet to avoid repatching the .3DS, building a CIA, and having to free ~6GB of space for installation though.

7. Celediel

Celediel Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    Tacoma, WA
    A recently released plugin is basically LayeredFS that doesn't need to be compiled on a per game basis: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...-plugin-fork-that-works-with-any-game.453218/

Zidapi likes this.