what are wbf1 as apposed to wbfs

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by ulao, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ulao
    OP

ulao Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    Few things here one, why are wbf1 files so tiny? Furthermore what are they? They seem to run in the dolphin emulator but remain so small in size?

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    they are parts of the wbfs file.
    say since smash bros brawl is 8gigs and converted into wbfs splited then you would get wbfs, wbfs1, and wbfs2 but each one will be about 2.99 gigs with one being 1.99 or so.

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    When a Wii game is larger than 4GB, programs like Wii Backup Manager split the WBFS files so they can fit on FAT32 formatted devices; FAT32 partitions can only hold files that have a maximum size of 4GB. The first part of the file will be 4GB (.wbfs) and the remaining part will be wbf1. If the game is only a little over 4GB, then wbf1 can be relatively small.

4. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    wbf1 files are part of a split ISO. When a FAT32 Partition is used, you need to split the game into sections as big as 4gb because FAT32 can't handle huge files. If you're running WBF1's without their first part (WBFS), the games probably won't run.

5. ulao
    OP

ulao Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    wow! thx so much guys I could not find that answer. I'm amazed the game loaded but that explains why its not running right I guess?

6. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    dolphin reads wbfs files, by the way were are the other ones.

7. ulao
    OP

ulao Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2010
    United States
    If you mean where are the other files, the answer is nowhere. All I know is I had a wbf1 file about 3.9 gig or so and it played. I then noticed a iso that was 8 gig in size. So then I was puzzled how far wbf1 would compress because the wbfs files only were %90 compressible. So now I know what is going on... Still no idea how the thing played, its possible I just didnt see the other file.