Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Compared to the top quality flashcarts like CycloDS and Acekard, what are the cons of the new SDHC DSTT from Dealextreme?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have both a DSTT and an Acekard 2. The Acekard 2 is well worth the extra few dollars. The DSTT lacks some of the most basic features that nearly every other flash cart has, including the ability to list games alphabetically (yes, they appear in the menu in whatever order they happen to be in the file table), the ability to view folders (all .nds files on the microSD card appear in one long list), the ability to load GBA games to a slot 2 cart automatically, the ability to switch skins from the menu (only one skin is supported -- to change skins you have to replace it with another skin on the microSD card), etc. In addition, the menu is sluggish, a large number have hardware problems, and compatibility updates are few and far between (much less additional features or bug fixes) because there are a huge number of clones so the DSTT team spends much of its time developing fake-killer firmware rather than updating the menu.

-Bri

Kevin242

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BRI makes some valid points if those issues are a big deal to you. I have no compatibility problems except Star Wars the force unleashed, and I prefer to have my newer games on the bottom of the menu. I designed my own basic skin and that is all I use (why would you need more than one on the card?) I like the DSTT it works just as well if not better than my Supercard. I keep around 80 (8 folders with 10 games a piece) DS games, and I have 3 folders for emulators (GBC, Atari 8bit and Commodore 64) on one sdhc 4gb card. I have no problem scrolling through all the games with the sylus you can quickly scroll to the game you want. I prefer to have the newest games I put on the card on the bottom or maybe it's just I am used to it that way. I think for a general purpose card and if you get a good one it's great and costs very little.

On the other hand. This is my second DSTT card the first one I received had tons of annoying problems. It would randomly corrupt my sd card and it drove me crazy until I realized it was the card itself causing the problem. Make sure if you order one you choose aplace like Deal Extreme which now tests the cards before sending them out and has a good if slow return policy.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YSMenu is better than the official DSTT menu in many ways, but it doesn't begin to compare with the Acekard menus (either the official menu or AKAIO). By the way, you can run YSMenu on the Acekard 2, but I don't know of anyone who does.

-Bri

kimo9357

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The card is well worth the price. I thought it was garbage when I first got mine, but after going through the forums I found solutions to some of the cons. If the menu is sluggish, make sure the MicroSD is formatted with FAT16, not FAT32. The non-alphabetical listing can be annoying, and I didn't like YSMenu, so I use DriveSort to put some order to my menu. As far as skins go... I don't care too much to switch back and forth between skins... but that's just personal preference.

The card sits flush in the NDS but the MicroSD card sticks out too much and is spring-loaded. This can be a problem as the memory card can easily pop out.

However, for $6.29 shipped... the card is well worth the price.

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
kimo9357 said:
The card sits flush in the NDS but the MicroSD card sticks out too much and is spring-loaded. This can be a problem as the memory card can easily pop out.
I can live with everything else because there are easy work-arounds but I can't live with this problem. It is just very sloppy engineering by the DSTT team and, in my opinion, it rules the DSTT out of consideration.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
YSMenu is better than the official DSTT menu in many ways, but it doesn't begin to compare with the Acekard menus (either the official menu or AKAIO). By the way, you can run YSMenu on the Acekard 2, but I don't know of anyone who does.

-Bri
I do that mostly because I prefer YSMenu's 3in1 usage thing better then AKAIO, but my DS has been broken for a while so I haven't really tried the new AKAIO.
And too lazy to convert the saves.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 3-in-1 has been completely compatibile with AKAIO for the last two versions, since the developers were given a 3-in-1 for testing. The newest is also compatible with the new 3-in-1+.

As far as save files go, if you're talking about converting the saves from the DSTT to the Acekard, there's no need -- they use the same save file format.

-Bri

genericaccount20

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard also has some issues w/ mulitplayer support. The DSTT does not. The only issue I have ever found w/ the DSTT is the fact that it won't run Star Wars Clone Wars. Oh well. I can live w/ that. For $7 I can't complain. I don't use the DSTT menu. I prefer the YSmenu. I like putting my games in folders. And regarding the skinning, honestly, how ofter do you look at the skin. I have a simple skin. I just use the menu to find games. I like a simple small text listing with folders so I can find the game quickly and play it.

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
dstt quality is unconstant but price very low so usually is a good choice. if defective usually you will find it in some days. and you can ask warranty soon.. not as acekard 2 that can broke in days/weeks/months without pre warning ,
but loader is faster, don't need to click to enter menu.
at end major cons is quality and very few firmware upgrade.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DSTT, and it does what I need it to do for the most part (other than, as already mentioned by others, that one Star Wars game won't work) but if I was buying a card now, I'd go for something else. The slow turnaround between firmware releases, plus the large number of fakes, just wouldn't make up for the money saved if I was buying now.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never had to reformat my microSD card when I used my DSTT. Are you sure you're using "safely remove hardware" every time you remove it from your PC? Also, make sure your games are in a "games" folder rather than on the root. Also, if you do have to reformat, use the Panasonic formatter and not the Windows format (which doesn't format properly according to SD specifications).

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before