What are some good Windows programs for protecting your computer and data?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,055
  • Replies 4
D

Deleted User

OP
I just recently bought a new HDD for my shitty Acer computer, and I want to make sure I protect my data really well this time, instead of just using one Antivirus program.
I currently only have Kaspersky Antivirus, which works really well, but I just want to make sure my data is properly protected.
I'd also accept some suggestions for Ubuntu programs like this, since I plan on installing Ubuntu on a separate partition on my computer at a later date.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Never use more than one active antivirus program at the same time. Using an active AV with an antimalware program like malwarebytes is ok.
The best way to protect your data is to set up regular backups, preferably onto an external drive, online backup storage, optical media, or a combination of all of the above. You can set up either periodic backup images, or sequential updates (only updates changes, not the entire drive every time), depending on the software you use.

As for what programs to get... I have nothing I can recommend. Most backup software are paid for (especially the ones that incorporate online storage) which I generally avoid as an unnecessary expense.

Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Linux, use Linux ;O;
All trolling aside, encrypting the hard drive will protect it from outside users and I used Avast Anti-virus and MalwareBytes for most of my protection and regularly scan my system.

D

Deleted User

OP
Linux, use Linux ;O;
All trolling aside, encrypting the hard drive will protect it from outside users and I used Avast Anti-virus and MalwareBytes for most of my protection and regularly scan my system.
I was planning on getting MalwareBytes, and I'm also kinda afraid of encrypting my HDD, because I feel like I'll forget the key I used to encrypt it... I'll still probably end up doing that anyways.
Also, I'd love to use Linux primarily, or as my only os, but a lot of the programs I use and the games I play are Windows-only.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other issue with encrypting your boot drive is that you automatically take a harsh performance penalty for it. I understand that newer intel and AMD CPU's are able to handle the AES algorithms in dedicated hardware on-chip now, but it doesn't completely negate the performance hit.

At the very least, the most cost effective way is to get an external hard drive and run scheduled backups; pretty much foolproof since Windows 7. Annoyingly though, only 8 or newer support backing up to hard drives larger than 2TB; something to do with "large sectors" which makes no sense to me.

If you really wanted to get paranoia level protective, it might be worth getting one of those that has a dock for it, and use one for daily, frequent backups, and then one for larger, monthly backups that you keep locked up in a safe somewhere, or stash in a safety deposit box at a bank. Mechanical hard drives tend to last longer in the latter situation.

Per my experience, I also suggest not using more than one antivirus at a time. Consistently best paid A/V I've found was BitDefender. A bit of a processor hog, but its scanning engine is ridiculously thorough.
For a free A/V, believe it or not, MSE does well, and near transparent system load (meaning, almost feels like it isn't there, until something is blocked by it).

Good programs to maintain?
  • MalwareBytes
  • Spybot S&D (just don't have it on startup)
  • CCleaner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs