What about Valkaryie Profile?!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by NatureMade, Mar 20, 2009.

Mar 20, 2009
  1. NatureMade
    OP

Member NatureMade GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Complete Over-haul!
    In an act of redemption, since I seemed to piss off quite a few Pokemon/GTA fans, here is a completely clean, non-judgemental reason why YOU should play Valkyrie Profile - Covenant of the Plume

Graphically - The Opening scene is one of the most beautiful CGI's I've seen on a DS since Metroid Prime, and that was all of like, 15 seconds. This opening is full fledged beauty. And as far as Special techniques go (I'll get into those during gameplay), the graphics on those are just absolutely epic, a lot better than most summon sequences on the DS.

Gameplay wise - The fighting style could be described as "Tactical", but there are so many spins on it that I'VE yet to see on a DS Tactical RPG (and I've played quite a few). Yes, you still move on a grid, and it is turn based, unlike Luminous Arc where a character's turn is dependent on their speed. But when it comes to attacking, you're actually involved in it.

Example would be, you move up to the enemy, and select attack. Well now you and the enemy move to an off screen field where you press the characters assigned button to initiate an attack. You are limited to a number of times you can attack, which is based on what weapon you have equipped. The weapon you equip also determines if you can use a special.

That's another spectacular thing about the fights; the Finisher specials. Basically, if you can manage to get the attack gauge up to 100, which goes up slightly every time you land a hit in the fight, you can activate a finisher combo that just blows you outta the water. Getting the combo meter up is the tricky part, your attacks have to be timed perfectly, or get several team members to surround one monster and just pound him into the ground.

And there in lies the fun, third aspect to fighting. Each character get's a turn to move, and attack, but what if a character is standing right next to a monster another team member goes after? Well, in real life they'd tag team that son of a gun and lay waste. And that is how it works in VP. By this logic, you can have every character attack at least twice per round, if you can play them in the right spots.

There are a lot of other aspects to battle, but to explain them all would take all day, so if you're curious, you should really check it out for yourself. And of course, there's more than just battles, you travel from town to town via the world map (you don't walk, you just pick your destination and bam you're there) And shopping is done in towns, just as always.

Audio - The music isn't NEW-AGE or revolutionary, but it is catchy. Especially during tense scenes or the Ally's round in the fights. There are also small bits of voice acting during special attacks and other events, but VERY minimal.

The cons of this game
    -Touch Screen: And that's the problem. There is none, or at least they didn't incoperate it into the game. Some look at this as a blessing, but I like touching my options. Just a personal preference I suppose.

-Text: I absolutely HATE the fact that the entire game is written in "ye olde english". If you need an example of what I mean, think Shakespeare. I don't hate Romeo and Juliet, but I didn't get a lot of what they were saying without reading it 2-3 times over. Same thing here, and that kinda makes the game seem slower.

-Using the Black Plume: During battle, you are given the chance to activate something called the Plume, a black angel's feather, and cast it onto your allys', allowing them EPIC strength and possible new combos. The downfall? When the battle is over, THEY DIE! FOR GOOD! Like, you DON'T GET THEM BACK! WHAT?! I just whooped some serious monster butt, NOW I LOSE MY CLOSEST FRIEND?! Greeaaattt. I absolutely hate this concept of the game. And you can't cast it on enemies or guests in your party, only allies. The advantage to this, as they explained, is that you can gain knowledge of new combos to use with other party members later. So don't get too attached to anyone, okay? xD

-Sin: This is brought into the game later, but not much later mind you. Basically, consider it like the Laws of FF Tactics. If you don't obtain a certain amount of Sin by the end of the fight....well I haven't seen the ramifacations of it yet, but I'd imagine it takes a toll on the EXP/Coin/Loot you get. You obtain sin from two methods. The first one is by casting the Dark Plume on an ally. The second, is by over-killing an enemy. The best way to do it is to hardly hurt them alone, then get your entire party to gang up on him while he's weak. Of course, that involves risking lives, because enemies will also try to gang up on you. so leaving party members out of range for tag-teaming can turn against you.

Other than that, the game is pretty good. I can look past the Text, and the Sin, but I really think I'm going to hate this Dark Plume deal. [​IMG]

So there you have it. If you find free time after beating Pokemon Platinum and GTA, and are looking for a good Game to pass the time, Definitely try this out!

2. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    I don't think it's really necessary to bash other games if the one you are playing is so good.

3. mewcuss

Member mewcuss GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Fancy a wi-fi battle?, muppet vs muppet(pokemon) or criminal vs criminal(gta) or do you want to play another lonely srpg by yourself? Yes VP is good (I gave it a try) and so are a LOT of other games that have come out in the mega month which is known by March, but, why don't you give GTA or Pokemon a try. GO ON! Just one little go on wi-fi with a friend or two whilst the hype is around and people are playing online. You can play Valkarie later, on your own. Go on, just one lil' try.

Also, I play chess and poker and enjoy them tremendously. They don't get updated every year, have been around for years and (to me) never get boring (unless my brother gets involved!). Whats wrong with them or Pokemon/GTA? I enjoy interacting/competing with other people and these two games do that.

Please don't start another "I hate pokemon" thread.

4. NatureMade
    OP

United States
    Eh, Perhaps my post was a bit blunt. I meant no harm to those of you playing Pokemon and GTA. Like I said, I've picked them both up as well as VP. Personally, I found GTA Fun, just to be able to re-live the Cop chases on my hand-held.

I'm just the sorta guy who likes new, innovative things. Nothings wrong with what we've got, it's just nice to see something fresh every so often. VP provides that, but it feels like it got swept under the rug admist all the other great releases this month.

And yes Mew-cuss, March has definitely been good to us. I haven't had this many good games to play in a long while, and along with that Henry Hatsworth game, I don't think I'll need to be making anymore purchases for quite sometime.

5. sa1amandra

Member sa1amandra Gazzaro Launching!

Canada
    one of the most useless fourms ever? clear spam, just because Valkaryie Profile didn't get as much love as PKMN/P, dosn't mean you can start such a topic by promoting one game by making fun of another

6. NatureMade
    OP

United States
    I don't even see HOW I made fun of another game. All I said was everyone is too busy playing games that've already been pushed out so many times while VP was just sittin there gettin no love.

7. crook

Member crook GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    thats because most gamers dont like harder games where you have to think.

8. NatureMade
    OP

United States
    I didn't think VP was even that hard. The system took like, 2 seconds before I was used to it. and as Far as Visuals go, they're epic! The only real downfall is that bloody "ye olde English" text. I can't understand a word they're trying to put across xD

9. Joey Ravn

Spain
    There, fixed.

10. Bleedingelite

Member Bleedingelite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Now, back to VP. How are the battles so much fun? Are they turn-based? Because I don't think I can deal with any more turn based battles?

11. litium

Member litium GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    I've palyed it, it's not like the PSX game but it's still awesome.
    The battles are turn based, sadly. But hey, in the psx one they were tunr based. The only difference is that you have to move your characthers to attack (That sucks balls). So, if youre sick os SRPG or TRPG's dont play Covenant of the Plume, play VP on the PSX.

12. mewcuss

Member mewcuss GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    yep, turn based but with a twist of killer instinct style combo-ness to add a fun element to the genre.

13. FlyChar

Newcomer FlyChar Member

Bahrain
    no one not any thing , we love ^^ and i love Pokemon [​IMG]

14. Bleedingelite

Member Bleedingelite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh, that sucks. After DQV I've had it with turn based games. It just takes too much out of me.

15. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I'm sorry NatureMade, in my opinion, this thread is perfectly fine, and I really don't see much bashing from your side, all you wanted is a talk about VP, but as you see, members are sensitive, and it's really pointless to keep this thread ope as it contains only flaming/arguing about Pokemon and GTA, and no VP!

I'm really sorry [​IMG]

EDIT: I see you're writing a post, I'll let you finish it, and then I'll close the thread!

16. Synsane

Newcomer Synsane Advanced Member

Canada
    Meh, VP's fighting bores me.

17. NatureMade
    OP

United States
    Lol, before even warned, as an act of redemption I decided to re-write the opening statement. If it's still against the rules, or people are still offended, by all means close it down. I don't want flames to be spread, and if it means stopping them, I understand you gotta do what you must.

18. Joey Ravn

Spain
    I'm pretty sure you didn't meant to flame or bother anyone, but the way you worded your opinion, giving no info about VP, made your post look a bit trollish. Sorry if I gave the impression of being offended by it, but real trolls are becoming commoner every day in GBATemp. Besides, GTA and Pokémon are two really popular franchises. Messing with them without any reason is risky.

19. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    No man, you weren't wrong or against the rules in the first place..I guess people are just nervous with all this server problems, and everything, so they probably jumped on you a bit too rough, as you see Joey Ravn realized that you didn't want to troll or flame, but only talk about some other game then GTA or Pokemon, it's really OK, and seeing as you gone trough all the effort of changing the original post, I'll just moderate previous posts that were offtopic, and that were starting the argument, and I'll make the title a bit more appropriate, but I'll leave this topic opened! [​IMG]

By the way, I didn't get any chance to play VP, I have some stuff to do before I get to play games freely, but it's on the top of my list "games to play", I'm really interested in this game, especially because I never played any previous ones..

20. Chikenkiller

Newcomer Chikenkiller Advanced Member

Canada
    this game is pretty fun sorta like disgea DS