What a boot ROM dump would mean

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Myria, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Myria
    OP

Myria GBAtemp Fan

Jul 24, 2014
    United States
    Since there are a lot of misconceptions, I wanted to explain what exactly we would get with a boot ROM dump.

What a boot ROM dump itself means:
    • It makes SigHax possible (see second list). Even after a boot ROM dump, it will take a few days to a few months before SigHax becomes usable, so these latter points come into play before SigHax.
    • It would mean that decrypting NCCH files, cartridge images, and similar things could be done entirely on a PC, without needing a 3DS tool like Decrypt9.
    • It would also allow decrypting SD card files and NAND dumps, if you have an OTP dump from that system.
    • It would mean that A9LH could be installed without the ctrtransfer step. However, it would not help you dump the OTP. It's basically a 100%-reliable OTPless method.
    • It would mean that most information required to emulate a 3DS would be known.
    • It would make possible almost perfectly impersonating another 3DS, even development systems. (CTRNAND would still need to be re-encrypted, because the NAND CID is used to generate the key.) Because the private key for movable.sed on development systems is known, you could change the serial number to a fake one.

What SigHax would mean:
    • Nintendo would never be able to block the use of a hard mod to hack a system, no matter what they do in a firmware update. (Currently, it's not possible to directly install A9LH with a hard mod unless you already have an OTP dump, so Nintendo could fix the FIRM downgrade hardmod attack.)
    • Installing SigHax would also not require a 2.1.0 ctrtransfer downgrade, but SigHax would additionally be able to dump the OTP of systems it is installed on without downgrading to 2.1.0.
    • SigHax means that DSiWare attacks could directly install SigHax.
    • SigHax might make it possible to boot from SPI Flash instead of NAND. The usefulness of this is unknown, but DS mode has access to SPI.

2. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    First!

Nice breakdown. Ty.

3. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Very good breakdown.

Might be worth noting that this is full R/W access. It might be possible that all you need to install Sighax is a DS flashcard. We won't know until the bootrom is dumped.

4. Returnofganon

Returnofganon I pretend like I know what I'm talking about

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Thanks! This really clears some of the confusing aspects of what the bootrom being dumped means

5. Darksphere92

Darksphere92 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    is this the thing that allows users to bypass the 300 title limit? if so any idea when this will be released?

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    No.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  7. Darksphere92

Darksphere92 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    is there a thing coming out that allows users to by pass the 300 title limit? maybe i just got this confused by something else.

8. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    This would require a CFW to add / patch that feature. The bootrom exploit could boot said firmware, but by itself it doesn't do anything for the 300 icon limit. This will likely never happen for 2 reasons:
    1) 300 is a fairly large number
    2) You can already install more than 300 titles, the limit on the 3ds is the ICONS, not the titles themselves. They will install, just not show up on the home screen. You can launch those games from FBI.

Subtle Demise and Tomato Hentai like this.
  9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    what you mean to say a bootrom dump doesnt just make ps4 emulation possible and complete OS replacements out of nowhere, and 100Gbps wifi speedz........blasphemy

10. Darksphere92

Darksphere92 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    welp bye SNES VC injects, you're moving to an emulator.

11. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    thx for that much-needed clear up. hoping others will see this instead of creating threads asking similar

12. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    depending on the titles, SD card space might be the first issue you run into before you hit the 300 title limit. (again, depending on the titles...)

13. Darksphere92

Darksphere92 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    ive hit the 300 title limit, but whatever i'll just remove the VC injects, and download the roms of them and an emulator.

14. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    When the fuck are they going to release these two hacks they announced?

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    they very rarely release the good stuff in any usable form, they just say "this is possible .......this is roughly how we did it" then wait for someone else to replicate it

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  16. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Or if you're a crazy bastard and have a 256 GB micro sd in your 3ds like me! Lol.

17. Darksphere92

Darksphere92 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    i have a 128GB Micro sd, only 60GB left, i should be able to make it with 60GB left.

18. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Who really needs 300 different games at their fingertips simultaneously?

Tomato Hentai and Zidapi like this.
  19. Darksphere92

Darksphere92 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    a person who wants to be prepared for the end of the world and wants to still have games to play.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  20. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Someone who likes to show off to people who dont know about console hacking. I know I do :P

Tomato Hentai and Darksphere92 like this.