Well damn, I think need Y-USB cable (another solution?)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by OriginalHamster, Jun 16, 2013.

1. OriginalHamster
    OP

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Well it sucks, I test 2 differents HDD and they "clicks" even during WiiU mode, everything was fine installed HBC, right cIOS, USB Loader GX, but the damn console is not able to run neither of my 2 HDDs, I did read in the simple guide topic that I need a Y-USB cable (just great another damn cable attached) it's really annoying as even Wii was highly compatible with most HDDs, I wonder if could be a workaround for this, like Nintendo releasing a fix through a new firmware, probably not going to happen... :hateit:

Aaaaanyway, there's at least a list of compatible HDDs that don't need external power supply?

kp_centi likes this.
  2. rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2013
    Canada
    This is the reason I only ever use self-powered external devices.

3. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    The Wii U is not a portable device. There isn't much reason to try to use a portable 2.5" HDD with it. Remember, those little drives have smaller capacity, are more expensive, and are slower. It's better to use a full sized 3.5" drive. If you don't want to use it, then use the Y-cable, not a big deal.

4. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    If you don't want to get a Y cable and have two things plugged in at once, just get a shorter USB cable. Chances are that will fix your problem. Keep it a good quality cable and probably 6 inches to 1 foot.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Forget about it. Most external drives that are worth a damn are based on a simple 2,5 SATA drive inside an enclosure and as such they require external power (USB only has +3.5V and +5V buses). You'll get far, far better results with a drive that does have external power than with a one that doesn't (and as such requires the Y-cable so that it draws energy from 2 USB slots).

Ray Lewis likes this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i can't use a y cable since one of my usb ports is in use by the lan adapter...

7. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States

Doesn't stop you from plugging one end in to a wall adapter.

8. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    wall adapter? you mean the lan wall socket? but than it wouldn't be plugged into the wiiu?

i have the lan usb adapter you plug it into the usb port on wiiu than you plug the lan cable into it from your router and it uses router speeds not wiifi.

9. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    i think he means the 2th part of the y cable

10. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    no i mean one end of the y cable into a usb wall adapter. You'd likely need either a usb extension or a wall power extension for everything to reach but it's better than not being able to use the hdd.

Alternatively, a rechargable usb battery pack but i wouldnt really trust that if youre already having power issues with the drive.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  11. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    oh yeah pone of them not sure i have any more sockets available though :P

Sicklyboy likes this.
  12. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States

NEED MOAR SOCKETS ;O;

13. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i'm maxxed out i got a 8 socket power board FULL plugged into a 2 socket wall socket which are also both FULL one using a double adapter. the other wall socket on other side is also FULL my room is powered to DA MAXX!! :lol:

Sicklyboy likes this.
  14. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States

MOAAAR POWAAAAAH

Anyway, if you have a USB wall adapter anywhere near, like for your phone or such, you could at least temporarily swap back and forth between that for your hard drive. Still would likely just need an extension cable for either wall power or the USB part that will plug into the adapter.

THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY. NEVER GIVE UP. ;O;

Edit - and as a last resort, the option of a rechargable USB battery pack is still on the table. Not the best one, by any means, but it should definitely have you covered.

15. Slartibartfast42

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    The Wii U has 4 USB ports, 2 on the back, 2 in the front. You could plug it into the front ones if you want. Or you could plug it into your laptop. Or buy a better power strip. A nice one has USB ports built in. A good router also has USB ports.

16. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    about the front ports will a hdd with y cable work in it though in vwii mode i thought you could only use the back ones for homebrew, loaders etc?

17. Slartibartfast42

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    I think they would work, at least for power. You could have one in front, one in back, as long as you got an extension cable. But really, you could just try this out and check. It will only take 5 minutes or so to do the test and there is no risk. I thought that the latest version of cIOS got rid of the one USB port only problem. If it didn't, then that only restricts the data port, not the power port. It's possible Nintendo programmed the Wii U to turn off power to the front ports in vWii mode, but why would they bother to do that? Try it out. Oh I bet someone in this forum has already tried it, so you could search for that.

18. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i cant try it out my wiiu isn't soft modded YET

19. OriginalHamster
    OP

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
  20. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    You can always use a powered usb hub to supply the extra power. plug the data end of the HDD into the wii U and plug the power part of the Y cable into the powered usb hub.
    It seems the usb ports on the Wii U dont supply the full 1amp of current that usb ports are supposed to have.
    Hard drives require alittle more power when they spin up.
    I have tried several hard drives using a 2.5" Usb to sata enclosure. all of the drives are not able to spin up. with the Y adapter they spin up.