Weird problem with ELINK

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by movezig, Feb 20, 2009.

Feb 20, 2009

Weird problem with ELINK by movezig at 1:53 AM (1,186 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. movezig
    OP

Newcomer movezig Member

United States
    I was just playing Fire Emblem 6 today on my ELINK cart. Suddenly, the game froze and made the most abhorrent screeching noise I have ever heard. I promptly turned off the game.

When I loaded up the game again, my save data was completely gone.

I still have a savestate, but it's from about ten chapters ago. For those of you who don't play Fire Emblem, that's pretty far back.

Is there a way to retreive my data? If not, is there a way to ensure this kind of screw-up doesn't happen again?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    nope. you only get that from either a dirty gba rom or you upgraded the installer program rather than sticking to the english one that came with the CD and turned on some cheat mode or something with zero cheats.

save data doesn't come off the flashcart, all the info is blank if you try.

3. movezig
    OP

Newcomer movezig Member

United States
    I actually got the white version that didn't come with a CD.

I tried reinstalling the software. Now, whenever I connect the cart, I get the message "Connect Elink time over,please repower the GBA." What do I do in this instance?

4. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    charge it for 8 hours or you will be recharging the thing every month instead of every 3 months. If it keeps asking even after charging, you probably got a dead battery, in which case you will need to replace it.

I posted the cd contents a while back here, I don't know if it is still up or not:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112580

5. movezig
    OP

Newcomer movezig Member

United States
    Wow, I must be a massive noob... how do I charge this? Do I use the USB cable?

EDIT: Found out in that link. I'll just leave it to charge then. I bought it several months back. Do you think I'll be charging it every month now?

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    just charge it overnight once in a while, you should be fine. just plug it into your computer or a hub with power. you don't need the DS to be attached to the cart to charge, only to transfer games.

7. move_zig

Newcomer move_zig Newbie

United States
    I tried charging it. I still get the error message.

The weird part is that the data on all the rest of my games is intact. Is the cart really broken?

EDIT: It's working with version 5.5 of the software. Is my cart all right then?

8. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Some people find the latest version doesn't work and use the older version instead that seem to work for them.

9. move_zig

Newcomer move_zig Newbie

United States
    I tried out my cart today. It works fine and holds a save, and works with the latest version of the software. I think it's alright, just needed a battery recharge.

Thank you very much for your help.