Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the skin is cool, and I've been online since 1200 baud was considered blazingly fast.

I hear you mother. Text based Compuserve FTL.

Anyone complaining that the skin looks too "old" or 2000ish isn't looking closely enough at the amount of detail put in. Having some experience designing websites wayyy back in the 1996 - 2000 range, I can tell you it would have been quite difficult to put together something like this.

If you don't like the colors, fine, switch it back. But there's no reason to attempt to put the site designers down when you do it. While you're at it, feel free to post up one of your own projects that you've worked hard on as a volunteer so that others can crap all over it in an inappreciative manner.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
I think the skin is cool, and I've been online since 1200 baud was considered blazingly fast.

I hear you mother. Text based Compuserve FTL.

Anyone complaining that the skin looks too "old" or 2000ish isn't looking closely enough at the amount of detail put in. Having some experience designing websites wayyy back in the 1996 - 2000 range, I can tell you it would have been quite difficult to put together something like this.

If you don't like the colors, fine, switch it back. But there's no reason to attempt to put the site designers down when you do it. While you're at it, feel free to post up one of your own projects that you've worked hard on as a volunteer so that others can crap all over it in an inappreciative manner.
Guess what, this happens all the time. Go over once to ModDB and have a look at the forums
wink.gif
. Or BlenderArtists sometimes falls victim to it too.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm starting to get used to v3, I'll hold off on critique until I've really had enough time to test it out but I've noticed a few tiddly resizing bugs (Firefox 2.0.0.2):

When the topic title is too long it wraps vertically, and the white blocks at either side repeat down the page with it. That didn't make much sense, here's what I mean. It mainly happens on the footer with the long forum section titles. (tbh I don't like the white blocks much anyway)

The layout goes a bit screwy when the window width is narrow (a lot of site authors miss this one, needs a minimum width where it stops re-sizing to fit the window) (image1) (image2)

Finally the boxes to write a reply and post a topic are too wide for an 800x600 screen, or to have Firefox's "bookmarks" panel open beside it on 1024x768. (the minimum size puts the right edge at 900-something)

(Normally I'd put this in the bugs section, but seeing as the v3 discussion's here may as well keep it in one place)
[Edit] In retrospect this really should be in bugs, sorry bout that :S *hits self*

zeph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've switched back to the GBATemp Lite skin.
I personally think the new skin is horrendous. I do appreciate the effort though, skin and features, shows you guys really do care about the site. I know (from experience) how hard it can be running a populated website.

JeX_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heaps of awesome new features, good work guys! Unsure about the skin at all though, the GBATemp Lite skin is very modern and looks lovely, this new skin reminds me of the way the web was around six years ago and I really don't like it much at all, sorry ;(

I knew this skin would get finished eventually! It's only taken, what, two years?
tongue.gif

Wiki is awesome and I love it. Should get some great articles in time!
Is JeX- back? Or did he just agree to letting you guys use his skin?
G-Online is exactly what I intended it to be, awesome job!

Here's to working towards v4!
grog.gif

Well, I designed the skin around 2 years ago, which would explain why some aspects are slightly outdated in comparison to new trends.

And ShadowXP - I think you should specifically ask Shaun and Costello that question.

-JeX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol