PS1/2 Wd-40

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered for a second if you wanted to spray classic WD40 around the place.

Anyway do you really need to regrease the rails the laser rides on? I don't know that I have ever had to do that for a PS2, or indeed almost any optical drive that was not seriously caked in nastiness (cigarette smoke is unpleasant for electronics as well).

If for some reason you have degreased the rail or otherwise determined it needs to run a bit smoother then yeah it should work. Spray some into a small rag and wipe it on the rail and run it back and forth a few times, possibly repeating after that when you have some in the bearing surface part of the laser.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I finally put permatex white lithium grease.this is dust magnet to? I don't put wd-40.
WD40 (which, by the way, means "water displacer", one of its advertised uses and one that it's better at than an oil) is not a good lubricant, because it evaporates quickly and usually leaves things stickier than nothing
You probably chose right :)

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re WD40. I love the stuff (I don't wear perfume but would make an exception for one that smelled like it) but the OP did specifically state white lithium which is one of the various other sprays they branched out into. Such things are pretty similar to what you would get if you opened many an optical drive and sampled the stuff on the rails that the laser rides on.

As far as grease being a dust magnet (by the way dust magnet is a phrase to mean it attracts things -- you might see fingerprint magnet, filth magnet, fly magnet, grease magnet, tourist magnet, babe magnet...). All grease is a dust magnet really, some worse than others and in most cases it is more that someone puts some on, gets it on their fingers and thus gets it everywhere else inside something and then you end up with dust sticking in interesting places. You are not going to open it up and find a bunch of iron filings in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy