1. Kwstaras28

OP Kwstaras28 Member
    Newcomer

Greece
    I want to ask wd-40 white lithium grease is good for ps2 slim lazer mechanism?for greasing.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Wondered for a second if you wanted to spray classic WD40 around the place.

Anyway do you really need to regrease the rails the laser rides on? I don't know that I have ever had to do that for a PS2, or indeed almost any optical drive that was not seriously caked in nastiness (cigarette smoke is unpleasant for electronics as well).

If for some reason you have degreased the rail or otherwise determined it needs to run a bit smoother then yeah it should work. Spray some into a small rag and wipe it on the rail and run it back and forth a few times, possibly repeating after that when you have some in the bearing surface part of the laser.

3. Kwstaras28

OP Kwstaras28 Member
    Newcomer

Greece
    i do it with a cotton swab.thanks

Last edited by Kwstaras28, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    your from grease, why do you have to ask at all.

5. Kwstaras28

OP Kwstaras28 Member
    Newcomer

Greece
    I just asked if this grease does.

6. koffieleut

koffieleut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    The downside of WD-40 is that it's a dust magnet. Maybe you're better of with some bike chain grease.

alexander1970 likes this.
  7. Kwstaras28

OP Kwstaras28 Member
    Newcomer

Greece
    I finally put permatex white lithium grease.this is dust magnet to? I don't put wd-40.

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    WD40 (which, by the way, means "water displacer", one of its advertised uses and one that it's better at than an oil) is not a good lubricant, because it evaporates quickly and usually leaves things stickier than nothing
    You probably chose right :)

alexander1970 likes this.
  9. Kwstaras28

OP Kwstaras28 Member
    Newcomer

Greece
    I did well that I put permatex? This is dust magnetic to?

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Re WD40. I love the stuff (I don't wear perfume but would make an exception for one that smelled like it) but the OP did specifically state white lithium which is one of the various other sprays they branched out into. Such things are pretty similar to what you would get if you opened many an optical drive and sampled the stuff on the rails that the laser rides on.

As far as grease being a dust magnet (by the way dust magnet is a phrase to mean it attracts things -- you might see fingerprint magnet, filth magnet, fly magnet, grease magnet, tourist magnet, babe magnet...). All grease is a dust magnet really, some worse than others and in most cases it is more that someone puts some on, gets it on their fingers and thus gets it everywhere else inside something and then you end up with dust sticking in interesting places. You are not going to open it up and find a bunch of iron filings in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted